horizontal beams

bjenk8100

Hello,

I currently am learning Revit Arch 14. I am very familiar with acad09-13 and Solidworks12. I have two issues that are kind of really driving me nuts. I am using the construction template for my first project. One elevation has drawn lots of attention. The B.O. Footing level is visible in level view but not listed in Properties (ctrl 1) for some odd reason. I am able to choose it from drop down when making a footing. I choose T.O. Footing view and make the footing and am able to choose B.O. Footing for footing end. This is weird.

** MY main issue is a horizontal beam. I make grids and steel columns each placed 25 ' away in both x and y directions. The columns go from level 1 to level 2 (for now). From floor plan views I can see the columns kinda faded but visible in both the levels which Im fine with. I try to draw a horizontal beam and go from one structural column to the next. I can see this beam from elevation and 3d views but not floor plan (aerial) views. In level 2 I can go to where the beam is and zoom in and put my mouse on grid. Before clicking the grid if i click tab I can then select the beam. The beam is just a single line. THis is just very weird to me. I thought I would be able to see the the entire top of the beams flange. In conclusion, I can see the beam in full from 3d and elevation viess but cannot from floor plan views. I am able to click on a single line for the beam in floor plan view though.

Sorry for long post,

Brian

I currently am learning Revit Arch 14.
You mean Revit 2014? There's no "14" so I'm assuming you mean 2014 which is what is noted in your profile.

I am very familiar with acad09-13 and Solidworks12. I have two issues that are kind of really driving me nuts. I am using the construction template for my first project. One elevation has drawn lots of attention. The B.O. Footing level is visible in level view but not listed in Properties (ctrl 1) for some odd reason. I am able to choose it from drop down when making a footing. I choose T.O. Footing view and make the footing and am able to choose B.O. Footing for footing end. This is weird.
Go back to any of the elevation views. and look closely at the "Level 01 - B.O. Footing" Level. Notice anything different from it versus all the others? The level head is black, not blue. If a Level Head is black, it means there has been no View created that is associated to that Level yet. If a Level Head is blue, it means there is a View established, and this is why you're seeing them in the Project Browser (not Properties as you mentioned... there's a difference). If you go to Ribbon > View > Plan Views > Floor Plan, notice the only available option is the one and only Level that is not blue. Now uncheck the box that says "Do not duplicate existing views" and notice all the other Views that are in the project. These are hidden simply because a View has already been established, that is all.

Here's one key thing to remember: everything that's blue is clickable. Double-clicking anything Blue will refer you to the associative view. Section Heads, Elevation Heads, Level Heads, all of them.

Now, once you create a Floor Plan with the B.O. Footing Level, then you'll see it in the Project Browser and notice the Level Head is now Blue. Hope this helps.

** MY main issue is a horizontal beam. I make grids and steel columns each placed 25 ' away in both x and y directions. The columns go from level 1 to level 2 (for now). From floor plan views I can see the columns kinda faded but visible in both the levels which Im fine with. I try to draw a horizontal beam and go from one structural column to the next. I can see this beam from elevation and 3d views but not floor plan (aerial) views. In level 2 I can go to where the beam is and zoom in and put my mouse on grid. Before clicking the grid if i click tab I can then select the beam. The beam is just a single line. THis is just very weird to me. I thought I would be able to see the the entire top of the beams flange. In conclusion, I can see the beam in full from 3d and elevation viess but cannot from floor plan views. I am able to click on a single line for the beam in floor plan view though.
What you're experiencing is one of many Visibility Overrides that Revit has built into the software. This one in particular is called Detail Level and controls a number of objects. Right now your Detail Level is set to Coarse, set it to Medium or Fine and it'll adjust as needed.

Read here: http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit/files/GUID-229C4AE8-9C31-422A-97B7-943607C55D1A.htm

Sorry for long post.
Nonsense... this is exactly why communities like this exist... ask away! :)