error reading dynamic block file

andrew239

Good morning.

I have a folder with a bunch of dynamic blocks that I have been using for ages, all of a sudden yesterday, when I try to insert a block, I get a popup error message that reads "ERROR READING FILE" I am running acad2013.

I have checked the link to the folder in the file path.

I have restored the folder to a previous version when they were working.

I tried opening the blocks as a drawing from windows explorer, and get the same message.

I tried to copy the dynamic block to a new drawing and save it, but it loses the dynamic function.

None of these worked.

one of the other guys in the department is getting the following in his command line

** File L:\DWG_Files\1_MISC\2010DYNAMIC ANNOTATIVE BLOCKS\CMU+BRICK.dwg was created by an incompatible versionof AutoCAD

*Invalid*

This seems strange as the blocks were not altered, and we are using the same version of autocad, so it is not like we are trying to open a acad2013 file with acad2010.

Any insight would be great as I do not want to re do all of the blocks

thanks

They are certainly not confidential, and I hope they are not deadly lol.

it seems, however, that I am unable to upload anything. it has been trying for about 20 minutes and still nothing

How paranormal...

What cobweb browser are you using? I remember some users in the past reporting troubles uploading that ended up being browser related. Can't remember which it was though... I can vouch for Chrome working fine though.

Without a file we'll find it difficult to troubleshoot :( unless somebody comes along who has experienced this problem before

it is all of the blocks.

I am just have regular google. I don't have chrome

I tried copying the files to another location with the same result, so that rules out any problem with the file path and/or folder.

They are certainly not confidential, and I hope they are not deadly lol.

it seems, however, that I am unable to upload anything. it has been trying for about 20 minutes and still nothing

Are you using IE ver 10 on Win 7 or 8? For some reason, IE seems to hog up trying to upload to this site. I have never gotten it to work. I use Google Chrome for most browsing these days and it uploads fine to Cadtutor. It is free and it works.

My guess is that if all the blocks are affected then the issue with an accidental setting change in AC. I'll have a fiddle and see if I can find any settings that might do this

Can't find any settings that might affect this. Didn't really expect to... It would be a rather backwards setting.

I think the next step will be trying to upload one of your files some we can poke it with sticks. What confuses is me is that you're using AC 2013 which, I think I'm correct in saying, should be able to open all .dwg files - because even AC'14 saves in a '13 compatible format. Are you using AC LT?

No I am not running LT. I created the blocks back in Ac 2010, so they have been working perfectly for a few years, even when we upgraded to AC 2013, they worked really well - as you would expect.

I will see if out IT bloke has any problem with me downloading Chrome and see if I can upload something.