This problem is just bugging me it seems off.

jbgraphic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbgraphic

• JD Mather

• steven-g

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the instructor get a failing grade for posting an assignment with missing information? How is it that this sort of thing is so common? Are instructors in too much of a rush or are they just not paying attention?

Looks to me like it is book author's mistake, not the instructor. (although you would think that unless this is the first time the instructor assigned this particular problem - they would be aware of the missing information and assumptions)

In any case, everyone makes mistakes, but we generally don't have 10's 100's 1000's scrutinizing our work.

On the flip side of that - I think I have a pretty solid figure of only 10% of any CAD users know what they are doing.

I have not seen any evidence that instructors are any better than the rest.

In close tolerance machining we expect complete and accurate drawings, but in architectural, civil, structural.... I doubt much would get built without making educated/experience driven assumptions. There are times when decisions need to be made using incomplete information (or we can sit on our hands and do nothing, except complain about the missing information).

It is most defiantly a text book mistake, our instructor is very good about helping but I think this is the first time with this text and we are finding lots of mistakes.

Can I bother you guys for some more help ;)

I just need a link or two that helps explain how to start this drawing. I can draw it in solidworks just fine but in AutoCAD just having issues getting started.

9.34.jpg

Thanks.

Again there is a fair bit of info not given, I would start with the base (2 holes) then draw the middle section as perpendicular and the top running 90 degrees off that following the sloping edge, and finally thicken up the parts and then from a front view rotate the center and top pieces by 30 degrees.

I don't follow? So draw every perpendicular and then rotate?

Again there is a fair bit of info not given, I would start with the base (2 holes) then draw the middle section as perpendicular and the top running 90 degrees off that following the sloping edge, and finally thicken up the parts and then from a front view rotate the center and top pieces by 30 degrees.

screen-shot.jpg

In Solidworks no problem I drew it easily.

In AutoCAD not so much, I think I am over thinking it. This is what I have so far, I have not done the 2 small counterbore holes yet as they are easy once drawing is close to done.

I agree it should be easy, my brain is just getting in the way I think ;)

This one is trivial compared to last one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44999[/ATTACH]

Are we missing more dimensions again?

I'm actually OK with this one, although I do think there should be a note or individual thickness dimensions for each plane.

my quick attempt -->

I drew this one flat then rotated the sections and finally offset for thickness. And the original one is indeed drawn correctly this time, it lines up well between the image and the model.

two.PNG

one.png