Pipe network in 3d view

sandiegophil

Hello,

I am giving a presentation of a rather extensive pipe network I created. It doesn't seem to matter if I walk, fly, drive through or orbit the model, all pipe to pipe connections look like two paper towel tubes stuck together at the center. The plan view is fine, with bends and such but not in 3d. Any help or suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• sandiegophil

• Tiger

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the image come from the file itself of from Object Viewer? If object viewer, did you select the structures?

Are the pipes attached, really attached to the structures? Do you have structures between the pipes? Are the structures too small perhaps?

Tiger,

The image is from a rendered view, no object viewer involved. There are no structures involved in the two elbows, just 3 pipes. Yes, the pipes are connected together. Any additional thoughts/ideas?? Thanks for helping.

Regards,

Phil

Plan view is fine you say? Maybe your elbows are floating somewhere directly above the pipes they should be connected to. That could explain why you see them in plan view but not in other views (like SE isometric).

I get this in plan:

plan.jpg

and this in 3d:

3d.jpg

the null part is fine to a point, it always comes in larger that the OD of the largest pipe....

plan.jpg

they're only 18" RCP in this location. please tell me there's a better way. don't really know how the spheres become default. if i try try to use a part defined shape the file crashes.

A long time ago Civil 3D did not have bends, tees and branches so the user would substitute a null structure. Gadz, it's 2014, please don't tell me Civil 3D still does this?

if they're in there, I certainly can't find them. It would be my opinion that it would 'join' connected pipes automatically........

I was under the impression that Civil 3D expects there to be a structure at the junction of two pipes (ex. - manhole).

Where are you Tiger? I thought you were the new Civil 3D guru on the block. If anyone should know what to do in this situation it's you isn't it?

If the connectors do not render at all, I am wondering if there is a rendering material applied to them? And if you do not have structures (manholes), and are using 2014 - perhaps try Pressure Pipes instead? they have other connectors available.

I'll see if I can get a test going here and check it for you. It's a support-day for me anyway :)

For pressure pipes yes, som. (update: tee's and elbows I can find, no wyes) But that wasn't introduced until 2013 so it's still heavily under development. We construct our own so I have not looked to deep into how the stuff that comes with the program looks.

For gravity pipes, we do not use branches, and use a localized version so I can't say what comes with C3D in the States.

Here is how bends look like in pressure pipes

pressurepipes.jpg

Pressure pipe as in a water distribution system. OK I can buy that but what about sanitary and storm sewer design?

I don't understand how a civil program would not have tees, wyes, elbows, reducers/increasers and adapters for reinforced concrete pipe included as part of the package. Not all sewers are manhole-to-manhole or catchbasin-to-manhole.

Edited by ReMark

gravity pipes as we construct them here do not have any breakpoints without some sort of manhole - I can't answer if they are there or not, as I have never had a reason to look for it, and the localization doesn't have them.