Lock autocad out of 3d modes

j10photo

This is seemly a basic function that I can not find, and is really frustrating.

I use autocad only as a 2d program. I never want to allow the program to orbit because it just lags and wastes time. When I move back and forth between sketchup and autocad I always accidentally hit alt when I pan, this kicking autocad in pinwheel hell.

I want to turn off all 3d in autocad, making a 2d program in "top" view. Is this possible?

I'm using autocad 2012, mac and pc

Just disable the Orbit command. You aren't "accidentally" invoking any other 3D commands are you?

Why did you buy AutoCAD for Mac (2D/3D) when you could have gotten Draftsight (strictly 2D) for Mac for free?

Our office uses autocad, I have no choice.

That works for the PC version, but not in mac.

I deleted both 3d orbit commands in CUI, but I can still trigger orbit with hotkeys.

Also, in the mac version I see no place where I can modify mouse behavior. What am I missing?

Thanks

As long as I have used full AutoCAD I've never accidentally hit the Alt key while panning. I think you're the first person I've come across mentioning this type of problem. Maybe a good key mapping program might do the trick.

Just disable the Orbit command.

Just like ReMark said, you may try to disable the command; just call UNDEFINE and enter the name of command you want disabled. To get it back call REDEFINE. May also attempt to remove from menu the trouble-maker hotkey trigger (although I’m not sure where is defined).

I do it occasionally. Usually when really busy and trying to work faster than my hands (and probably brain) can handle! I always do it when trying to hold shift to select many pick points. It does cost me a couple of minutes between slow computer and fiddling about trying to get it back to the view I had (in 2d.)

I do it now and again. I did it more often when I switched from Autocad to Revit and back - the zoom/scroll/commands where different in the different programs.

It is extremely annoying when working with a larger file because like the OP says, it can shut down the drawing for a while.

In the CUI, have you tried changing the commands under the Mouse Buttons-section?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Someone suggested the use of the UNDEFINE command in post #5.

True,just the command name suggested above that was incorrect. 3dorbit wouldn't do the trick and most folks try disabling the command through the CUI.

More or less was just stating the proper command to undefine.

• 3 years later...