New work computer, more powerful or not?

Glen1980

The companies IT department convinced me to accept a new computer. Previously I had a HP Z210 workstation with a i3-2120 3.3ghz chip 4GB RAM and a Quadro 400 gfx card.

The one they have given me is a HP Elite 8300 CMT according to my computer -> properties and has an i5-3570 3.4ghz processor. The main let down is the NVIDIA NVS 300 gfx card which isn't autodesk approved and is no longer in production and appears to be Nvidia's budget range.

In some things it is faster but in other more simple tasks like office and chrome it really drags its arse. I'm wondering if the IT dept have given me a lemon of a machine, trouble is i'm really out of date as to where hardware is going and has been for the last few years.

I am the only user of vanilla autocad 2011 (the rest have LT) and I am also the only one who works in 3d and produces renders (only occasionally unfortunately.) Eventually they gave me an additional 4gb ram which has helped but not a massive amount.

Does anyone think that the specs are appreciably better in the new machine? What upgrades can I do to improve this machine without going over the top? Bear in mind I'm in Britain with its musn't grumble attitude and a general tight fisted approach to buying any plant or equipment!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glen1980

• ReMark

• Barneel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you still have the old computer? Just do the old switcheroo with the graphics card. One of the easiest upgrades to do. It's pretty much just a push and click job. Both aren't brilliant cards though.

Your processor is a good one so no complaints there, quad core, 3rd gen, with boost to 3.8ghz - very nice. Some extra RAM would be nice, and is a fairly cheap upgrade to make.

Its a difficult one to make a conclusion on. Processor is certainly much better. Perhaps they didn't realise that AC makes good use of graphics cards. I know some CAD software aims to use mainly processing power. I think you would benefit from those upgrades though (and if your feeling lucky, push for a newer quadro graphics card - the 600 is a relatively good, cheap one - designed to be used for CAD).

Hope this is helpful

Unfortunately they immediately gave my machine to one of the juniors (with my VRAY licence manager so I can never start renders without hassle!!) I did suggest a nightime switchover that he'd never notice but IT don't like to do any work as we have strict admin restraints they might have to redo the drivers.

Any recommendations for a suitable graphics card?

That is a shame :(

As for a suitable graphics card, it really depends on what budget you can wangle. The Quadro 600 will likely double your graphics power and can be picked up for about £140. Any in that series would probably be suitable. Just check its on the AC approved list before you go ahead with anything

ReMark, everything I know for certain about the system is in my computer details. Is there anything specific you want me to find out?

I'm fairly certain the the HDD is a bog standard mechanical one but can't tell the speed of it, the memory is DDR3.

Good news on the Gfx card front IT will buy me a new one!! Just need to tell them which one to get. :shock::D

Computer spec changed, got confused by 4 cores and core i5 :oops:. I had already had 1 coffee by then! 11am GMT doesn't that translate to silly o'clock in Connecticut?

Is that the HP Compact Elite 8300 Business PC by any chance (ultra slim version that stands vertically on one's desk) or is it the minitower version?

Intel® Core™ i5-3570 Processor

Up to 3.8 GHz Max. Turbo Frequency (3.4 GHz base frequency)

6 MB cache, 4 cores, 4 threads

Intel HD Graphics 2500

Supports DDR3 memory up to 1600 MT/s data rate

Supports Intel vPro Technologies and Intel's Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)

This is one of the cards offered by HP for that computer.

NVIDIA GeForce GT630 (2 GB) DDR3 FH PCIe x16

(includes a DP to DVI-D adapter and a DVI-I to VGA adapter)

Looks like your platter drive spins at 7200 rpm. I see there was an optional 120GB SSD. Too bad they didn't add that to the mix. You could have put your programs on it and used the platter drive for your data storage.

Your computer also comes configured with 4 DIMM slots and can max out at 32GB of RAM.

What OS will you be running and what version?

Edited by ReMark

11am GMT doesn't that translate to silly o'clock in Connecticut?

:huh:

6:30am in CT?! Please tell me your offshore or something. And I'm fairly sure a saw you posting an hour or so ago as well. Perhaps ReMark really is a robot...

8300 elite.jpeg

It look like this, an upright tower but not slimline (Cd/DVD is horizontal). Did you get that from Crucial.com as I was looking for additional memory and don't agree with their description of the ancilliary bits. There is no mention of the model number on the CPU I am going on what windows say on the right click properties on my computer.

It is very similar to this one http://h20386.www2.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=A2K82ET&opt=ABU&sel=PBDT#merch-tech-specs

I have the packet the extra ram arrived in and it only says 4gb 1600 udimm 1.5v.

The NVIDIA NVS300 graphics card is what device manager says I have.

I got the specs off the HP website. Looks like there were actual three different versions of that computer.

Besides a better graphics card I might have gotten the solid state drive as well.

Because they are marketed as business computers not workstations for CAD I suppose.

That's why I don't let IT pick my computer nor that of the structural engineer. We tell them what we need otherwise we'd have the same type of computer the secretaries and lab personnel have.

Definitely NVS300 GFX card, just had the front cover off. CAD spec workstations are expensive so less capable machines get purchased. Only a few of us notice and complain so mostly they are right unfortunately.

Yes, a workstation can be a little bit pricey but unless you're going for a state-of-the-art machine they aren't that much more expensive. The proper tool for the job should be the guiding principle in my opinion. Ever notice how a company will sometimes spend more on an employee's desk and chair than on the computer their job depends on? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I tried arguing for new computers for years, in the end I had to be happy with what we got. As I'm doing 3d bits and running the larger programme I am winning the argument that I need a better machine.

I never understood why companies bother with budget workstations for things like CAD. I always thought that, in the long run, spending a few extra squids for a strong workstation will save you money through the time you save... Not to mention saving your sanity.