High-performance analog of OVERKILL command

Debalance

Reputable ReMark and other inquiring minds!

I spent a couple of experiments to optimize the drawing showing the advantages of the program TotalPurge in comparison with standard command OVERKILL. So that's what I got:

For the beginning I combined a fragments of a drawings from the public domain in the test-drawing . This is a drawings of a locomotives. So i have a test-drawing size of 3.2 MB (Locomotives.dwg). It consists of 65815 entities. Granted, it's a few, but enough for the experiment.

So the first experiment. I perform optimization of the drawing by means OVERKILL. The output file has been saved as Locomotives-OVERKILL.dwg. This drawing has a size of 2.9 MB and contains 60843 entities.

The second experiment. I perform optimization of the drawing by means TotalPurge. In the settings turned on option smart conversion of objects to polylines. Option of converting of curves into polylines is disabled. The output file has been saved as Locomotives-TotalPurge.dwg. This drawing has a size of 2.1 MB and contains 32440 entities (almost all of them polylines).

Feel the difference!

You're comparing apples to oranges.

In your first experiment (where are the other experiments?), you've neglected to include the processing time required for such evaluation, and you posit that your application is better because of fewer entities overall, but multiple entities have been converted to Polyline, so it is not really a true comparison (while I do think it's a nice idea to offer such functionality).

Cheers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Debalance

• ReMark

• BlackBox

• Tiger

You're comparing apples to oranges.

I do not agree with you. Eventually I am comparing the number of megabytes and entities in each of the drawings.

Processing time is:

OVERKILL - 5 min. 26 sec.

TotalPurge - 0 min. 25 sec. (under the stipulation that been enabled smart conversion of objects to polylines).

Software - AutoCAD 2010

Hardware - Core 2 Duo 2,67 GHz, RAM 2 GB

I do not agree with you. Eventually I am comparing the number of megabytes and entities in each of the drawings.

That is entirely your choice... I prefer clarity to agreement. :beer:

Given the ability to change the configuration of your software, perhaps it would be prudent to illustrate (not for me, but generally to prospective consumers) a 1 to 1 comparison... Without your smart conversion, etc. so that there is a direct comparison between using native Command, and your command, yielding (as a generalization) the same end result effectively, so that consumers can see where your product, even without the bells and whistles, can yield the same 'cleaned' drawing, faster than using native command (if that makes sense?).

Processing time is:

OVERKILL - 5 min. 26 sec.

TotalPurge - 0 min. 25 sec. (under the stipulation that been enabled smart conversion of objects to polylines).

Software - AutoCAD 2010

Hardware - Core 2 Duo 2,67 GHz, RAM 2 GB

^^ That ^^... Is truly impressive (without having seen the source, or resultant drawings, etc.), and should be one of the first things tactfully communicated to prospective consumers, in my humble opinion. :thumbsup:

In my limited experience, offering additional functionality is great, but saving others time, is where you'll make your money (and those are not always mutually exclusive, either).

Cheers

Separately, and forgive me for not going back to your website to check if this is documented already or not, but does your application only support CommandMethod Method for MdiActiveDocument, or does it also support batch processing via ReadDwgFile()? :unsure:

*Not sure if this is ObjectARX, or .NET app*

*Not sure if this is ObjectARX, or .NET app*

The kernel of the program and 90 percent of the code are written in C++ (ObjectARX). The rest is with the use of C # (. NET).

Given the ability to change the configuration of your software, perhaps it would be prudent to illustrate (not for me, but generally to prospective consumers) a 1 to 1 comparison...

I would not want to position the program TotalPurge only as an analogue OVERKILL. TotalPurge performs complex optimization of drawing, in which one of the functions is the removal of redundant objects.

The kernel of the program and 90 percent of the code are written in C++ (ObjectARX). The rest is with the use of C # (. NET).

Given the speed difference, and that difference is significant, I should have guessed, but wanted to inquire to be certain.

Perhaps with a slightly different approach, as already discussed (i.e., app name, time savings focus, etc.), this product would do extremely well... Don't take my word for it, consider checking with others via poll, and/or other forums to conduct your own marketing research.

Have you considered selling your product through Autodesk Exchange? Users tend to 'trust' what comes from there more frequently than what they can buy from 'someone's' website.

In any event, we may not agree on everything (and that's perfectly fine), but I wish you well on your endeavor... Good luck!

Cheers

Have you considered selling your product through Autodesk Exchange?

Yes, I have started to pursue the matter currently.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Yes, I have started to pursue the matter currently.

Thanks.

If you have any questions about preparing your Autoloader .bundle, please let me know.

Reflecting on the performance gain you noted above, I'm anxious to know the additional performance gained by implementing PLINQ (dare I presume you're using LINQ currently?)... You know, once AutoCAD is thread safe. :shifty: :roll: :geek:

• 1 month later...