• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Debalance

• ReMark

• BlackBox

• Tiger

Care to share some detailed information with us? Have you run a test on both commands using the same drawing? If so what were the results? Inquiring minds want to know.

I already wrote that TotalPurge more powerful then OVERKILL in functionality. For example, TotalPurge can simultaneously packed in a polyline entities replacing a chain of simple objects of one polyline. See this video from the the website of program...

I'm not really interested in the features of the program as much as I am in the results. Let's say I have a 35MB drawing file and I run a -purge, audit, and overkill on the file and it reduces the overall file size to 17MB. Now I run a TotalPurge and overkill on the file. What is the result? Do both tests on your largest drawing file and report back with the results. Expect to be challenged and asked for a copy of the file. Think of it as independent verification. We'll wait. Don't disappoint us.

Sold? Darn! And here I thought he was making it available out of the goodness of his heart as a means of expressing his gratitude for CADTutor's existence. I am heartbroken.

Sold? Darn! And here I thought he was making it available out of the goodness of his heart as a means of expressing his gratitude for CADTutor's existence. I am heartbroken.

I too am saddened by this revelation.

I liked to live in ignorance Tiger! :shock:

I'm not sure why he decided to name it TotalPurge when it does not actually purge any of the entities one would expect (see list below). It's really more of a souped up Overkill command. Should have named it TotalKILL.

Entities such as: Blocks/DEtailviewstyles/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SHapes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/SEctionviewstyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length geometry/Empty text objects.

I'm not sure why he decided to name it TotalPurge when it does not actually purge any of the entities one would expect (see list below). It's really more of a souped up Overkill command. Should have named it TotalKILL.

Entities such as: Blocks/DEtailviewstyles/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SHapes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/SEctionviewstyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length geometry/Empty text objects.

You may find Owen's SuperPurge app more useful in that regard... I believe he offers a fully functional trial download.

Cheers

ReMark:

DeBalance: Is there a fully functional trial version available?

This version is fully functional. Except for one small thing - an unregistered copy of the program can not process more than 1000 objects.

I see. Well maybe I'll give it a test run but I can definitely say the name does not aptly describe what it is supposed to do and that's what threw me off immediately.

ReMark:

... Should have named it TotalKILL.

In my opinion the name TotalKill looks like something murderously. Although the idea is not bad ...

ReMark:

... but I can definitely say the name does not aptly describe what it is supposed to do and that's what threw me off immediately

I see. There are stereotypes in the terminology of AutoCAD.

While I am familiar with SuperPurge others may not be so thanks for the reminder/link BlackBox.

No worries; Always happy to help, ReMark. :beer:

ReMark:

In my opinion the name TotalKill looks like something murderously. Although the idea is not bad ...

I can appreciate that, but certainly you understand that substituting *Kill with *Purge is not exactly accurate given the purpose, and functionality of your application... Perhaps something more along the lines of OverKill+, etc. would both stay true to what your application does, and clearly express to potential customers what they are buying.

Just my $0.02... Please take from it what you like.

Cheers

Care to share some detailed information with us? Have you run a test on both commands using the same drawing? If so what were the results? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reputable ReMark and other inquiring minds!

I spent a couple of experiments to optimize the drawing showing the advantages of the program TotalPurge in comparison with standard command OVERKILL. So that's what I got:

For the beginning I combined a fragments of a drawings from the public domain in the test-drawing . This is a drawings of a locomotives. So i have a test-drawing size of 3.2 MB (Locomotives.dwg). It consists of 65815 entities. Granted, it's a few, but enough for the experiment.

So the first experiment. I perform optimization of the drawing by means OVERKILL. The output file has been saved as Locomotives-OVERKILL.dwg. This drawing has a size of 2.9 MB and contains 60843 entities.

The second experiment. I perform optimization of the drawing by means TotalPurge. In the settings turned on option smart conversion of objects to polylines. Option of converting of curves into polylines is disabled. The output file has been saved as Locomotives-TotalPurge.dwg. This drawing has a size of 2.1 MB and contains 32440 entities (almost all of them polylines).

Feel the difference!