Help on slate editor

kenecad

sorry i had a low battery... am still on it. thanks for your help so far. its not yet solved, the show standard shading in view port is not high lighted. sorry for inconviniencies, but i think it will be better if your post for me a step by step procedure. i have already arranged the picture front elevation and profile view using paint, and i have saved it. what i need now is how to open it in 3ds max and arrange the elevations in the frontview port for the face and the end view port for the profile view. thanks in anticipation. my real name is kenechukwu.

It sounds like you're trying use these pictures as background reference images for building your model, is that correct? There are a couple of different ways to do this.

Here's one way to do it:

This is how I do it:

yea... I will try to watch the tutorial wenn i go to my schools hotspot tmrw. I appreciate. Since that z done, tell me how to model an abstract image like a human face without image reference. Pls am a noobie i might require some few screen shots. God bless u

am actually usin 3ds max 2012 the 'show standard material in view port' is 'show shaded material in view port in mine.

I have Max 2011. They may have changed the name of the button in 2012, but I assume it does the same thing?

tell me how to model an abstract image like a human face without image reference. Pls am a noobie i might require some few screen shots. God bless u

There are lots of good Studio Max tutorials here:

http://cg.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial.php?catDisplay=1&roPos=1&search=&p=1&sort=date&order=1&detailsoff=

But to be honest, I wouldn't use Studio Max to do organic work like this. It can be done in Max, but it will be very tedious, labor intensive and time consuming. I would use ZBrush for doing this type of work. Or, if you can't afford ZBrush, you can download and use Sculptris. It's free.

Zbrush: http://pixologic.com/zbrush/

Sculptris: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

thanks alot friend. I really appreciate. So what u are saying z that zbrush is far better in organic work. So tell me where max z better of cos am thinking now that i wasted my money on it. And remember i hope to animate my creation wen am done modeling it. Does zbrush also do the animation? Please i need advice.

You didn't say anything about animation until right now. You probably should have mentioned that in your original post. In fact, I'm only learning what your true intentions are piece by piece. If you are a beginner then you are biting off way more than you can chew right now. I would recommend you spend some time learning Studio Max, working through tutorials building much simpler models and doing very simple animations. You need to learn how to walk before you can run.

thanks for the advice. but i think as studio max is kind of outdated, i should put more effort in learning the latest so that i may catch up... i know i am far behind, but i knw also that if i get the basics, i will definitely catch up. am really counting on you for assistance. thank in anticipation. am already downloading the zbrush software. i hope it will help me alot. thanks alot.

I would not call Studio Max "outdated". It's a perfectly good poly modeling, animation and rendering program. ZBrush is a totally different type of program. I hope you didn't buy it because you may not like it. It would have been better for you to download the free Sculptris program to get a feel for how these sculpting programs work and see if it works for you. I hope you just downloaded the trial version of ZBrush.

As for my assistance, please don't count on me. I may or may not be able to help you. As I stated previously, you should really start at the bottom. Work through some tutorials, learn the basics and work your way up to more advanced topics like character animation. Right now you're starting at the top trying to do something highly technical and difficult.

As I said before, you need to learn how to walk before you can run.