seperating layers for frames and panels in autocad architecture

Bivek

Hi, for some reason i need to convert the aec doors and windows into autocad 3d solids, But as i use convoto3dsolids command to do that, both frames and panels gets attached into same layer and becomes same block, so i can't apply separate material to frames and panels. So how can i separate these two...:oops: in autocad architecture 2014.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bivek

• tzframpton

• hertz hound

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Acutally i'm a civil engineer fresh passed out. I've used autocad but quite new to autocad architecture.I 've found the way to assign layers ot the components but still same problem. couldn't fix it... I've attached the dwg file too >cad tutorjpg.jpg

cad tutor.dwg

cad.jpgNow i see my problem makes some sense... I don't have the A-Frame layer?? That is why perhaps both the glass and the frame would catch the same layer A-Glaz. I need to do this becoz i render my drawing in lumion which requires objects to be in seperate layer to apply a material and thus i need glass and the frame to be in separate layer and that lumion which i use won't accept aec objects..

Creating a new A-Frame layer will not solve your problem all by itself. The glass in the door will still be on the A-Door layer. The window frames will still be on the A-Glaz layer.

Notice I put my door and window frames on the same layer. I also put all my glass on the same layer.

Are these custom AEC Objects that you've built or are they out of the box Autodesk AEC Content? Either way I'm sure you can use Layer Key Styles to map the glazing and frame elements to the correct layer.

Did that A-Frame layer create automatically when you started window or door command?? And after using convoto3dsolids command, are they still on seperate layer? If yes, could you please tell me if i could have done any mistakes in setting up the drawing template which i use acad3d.dwt or else, coz i don't have the A-Frame layer!!

ya tzframpton i tried that too but after using convoto3dsolids command both the glass and frames gets merged into single layer, which i don't want. Indeed i could have done some mistakes too, could you please provide screen shots of seperating layers in style manager,using convoto3dsolids command and finally getting frames and glasses into seperate layers when the aec objects have converted to 3dsolids.

Did that A-Frame layer create automatically when you started window or door command??

When I try with the out of the box settings the door comes in on A-Door and the window comes in on A-Glaze layers.

AEC Objects are a broken down into separate components on layers that you can change in the style manager. Click on the object (door) and then select Edit style

If you set up separate layers you could assign the components to different layers here. I am curious how ReMark did it Because I am sure there are several ways to accomplish the same task.

He is right though and that having the components on seperate layers is not going to solve your problem, they are still the same object. You could then explode them twice and then you would get surfaces on separate layers that you have defined for your components. Would your rendering software work with surfaces?

And after using convoto3dsolids command, are they still on seperate layer?

No, my test door and all the components went on the A-Door layer as a single solid.

could you please tell me if I could have done any mistakes in setting up the drawing template which I use acad3d.dwt]

The acad3d.dwt is not a native AutoCAD Architecture template. It does not have all the pre-defined display configurations set up. You should use one of the aec model or aec sheet templates.

That is still not going to solve what you are trying to do. Try copying your drawing to a new drawing started with one of the above templates, then check out all the display representations by clicking button next to the annotative scale button on the bottom right.

Enjoy.

I guess you are still attempting to do this using AutoCAD Architecture 2014? You should change your profile so in the future members know what program you are really using. Right now it looks like you are using plain AutoCAD which immediately means most responders are going to approach any problem you have from that viewpoint.

Unless you are bound and determined to accomplish the task using the method suggested by others you do have the option of doing it the way I did using plain AutoCAD. It may not be as elegant but when the drawing is printed no one is going to be able to tell the difference. Are you sharing the drawing with another company?

Until now i'm creating openings in the walls, creating windows using plain autocad method like rec, reg, ext etc.. and fitting them in the openings. I recently switched to autocad architecture by looking at its simplycity and easy handling of doors and windows.. How ever how better it would have been if i could use the window of default autocad architecture. I repeat, i needed this coz i render it in lumion software which requires objects to be in seperate layers for seperate materials to be applied and lumion won't accept aec objects so aec objects need to be converted into 3dsolids using convoto3dsolids, but as i do it the glass gets attached into frames layer and i can't apply glass to glass and frame material frame seperately in lumion..

My approach solves that problem.

Sorry, but I have to step away from my desk for a while. When I return I'll check this thread.

I did return later in the day but apparently you've made up your mind. The best I can do at this point is to wish you success with your endeavor. Have fun.

Edited by ReMark