What is the difference between Inventor and Inventor Fusion

hertz hound

I am curious to know what the difference is between Inventor and Inventor Fusion.

Inventor Fusion came packaged with AMEP 2012. For whatever reason it did not come with 2014, other software did that I will never use.

AMEP has a parametric part builder in it which is like a program inside a program. It is built off of the same Cole modeling engine that is the same as Inventor, and Revit's family editor.

I would like to learn a little about Inventor because it is documented so well, and see if that will help me with AMEP and Revit. I would think that it may be easier to build parts in Inventor that could be used in both AMEP and in my eventual future with Revit.

The problem is that I will probably not get the full version of Inventor. So I was wondering if it will be worth it, and will I be able to use the parts built In AMEP? The parts would have to be parametrically controlled so different part sizes could be created by changing dimensional values.

Inventor Fusion was an Autodesk Labs technology preview that was packed with AutoCAD 2012 & 2013. I also noticed a visual "similarity" between the AMEP Content Builder and Inventor Fusion, but I don't think there was much actual similarity between them. Content builder/AMEP uses data from and XML file to drive geometry in a DWG file. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Fusion/Inventor do that, so I doubt you could use either to build parametric parts that work with AMEP.

If I understood Tannar correctly, AMEP's content builder is somewhat intuitive, but the interface is very clunky, while Revit's content builder is very powerful, but not very intuitive.

I don't know much about SATs, but I don' think they're parametricly driven parts. I think the reason it's posted in Inventor is to get a feel whether Inventor/Fusion can build parametric parts that AMEP/Revit can use, instead of using the clunky parametric part builder in AMEP. My guess is no.

Thanks for the recponces

I don't know much about SATs, but I don' think they're parametricly driven parts. I think the reason it's posted in Inventor is to get a feel whether Inventor/Fusion can build parametric parts that AMEP/Revit can use, instead of using the clunky parametric part builder in AMEP. My guess is no.

That is exactly it, and it is clunky.

There are not a lot of tutorials or training with part builder. I thought I could get that with Inventor and apply that type of work flow with part builder, or better yet just use the parts built. The whole right click to access commands and using work planes instead of a UCS is very similar between the two.

I have read that Fusion was a solid modeler where Inventor was a parametric modeler. I figured that was why I would not be able to use it. I have a book from the library on Inventor and I can see there is a lot of stuff missing from Fusion so it makes it harder to follow along.

JD Mather

The OP seems to have disappeared, but - I recommend consulting with your VAR.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTO...GE_EXPORT_MAIN

I am still here. I have limited time for training/message boards in the morning before I leave for work. Yesterday morning before writing this post I actually got distracted following the link to your site and going through some of the tutorials. That is the kind of stuff I am looking for to get me a better/different work flow with solids and surfaces

Your link and SLW210's reply seam to be what I was looking for. Unfortunately I don't have an export button under the big "I" application menu.

Unfortunately I don't have an export button under the big "I" application menu.

Wrong location to look.

First, check Tools>Add-ins and make sure BIM Exchange and BIM Simplify apps are loaded.

Then click on the BIM tab on the Ribbon. (also, you don't mention what version of Inventor you have - there was a change in r2014)

Inventor Fusion was nothing like Autodesk Inventor. I don't understand how it got the "Inventor" name. Parametric modelers are solid (or surface) modelers.

First, check Tools>Add-ins and make sure BIM Exchange and BIM Simplify apps are loaded.

Fusion must be really striped down. There is no tools tab, only home vault and view. I right clicked on the ribbon to see if all tabs and panels were selected (Viewable) and they were. I looked every where, and there are not many places to look, and I can't find Tools, add-ins, bim exchange or apps.

There are many things missing from what the library book tells me to click.

I have the 2012 version of Inventor Fusion. The book I borrowed is for Inventor 2013 and 2013 LT. Would LT have what you are showing me or would that be limited also?

Inventor 2014 can export parametric parts to Revit 2014.

Fusion desktop is a direct modeler. It's not parametric and its file type is DWG. It is no longer being developed.

Fusion 360 Is a wicked cool web app. It's still kind of Beta. It's not parametric yet... once no idea weather it will ever export to Revit.

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/resources

Fusion desktop is a direct modeler. It's not parametric and its file type is DWG.

Thanks, I think I had just figured that out.

I was going to make an electrical panel, all fancy, with a hinged cover and vent holes on top and bottom. Then I was going to save it and ask someone here if they could export it so I can see what it would look like, and if I could add part sizes to the table in AMEP. Then I noticed that it would only save as a dwg. I think I also noticed that the sketches seemed to have dimensional and geometric constraints, but the solid created from the sketch did not. I would need the solid to have the dimensional constraints so different part sizes could be created through a table.

It is to bad that the parametric part builder inside AMEP does not work like inventor. The way it is limits my skill to basic parts. Junction boxes and trofts I can do easily :lol:

If I want fancy I will have to stick to building each part individually with basic AutoCAD solids and/or surfaces. Then use the block based part builder.

Thanks again.

Intergrated power center.jpg

If I want fancy I will have to stick to building each part individually with basic AutoCAD solids and/or surfaces. Then use the block based part builder.

That has unfortunately been my conclusion. Even when it is "possible" to make a complex part... it's not practical due to Content Builders terrible user interface.