Loft - Centreline not smooth

dodyryda

Hi..

I'm relatively new and self taught on inventor so please excuse any blinding error I've made..

I'm having some trouble lofting a part along a 3d sketch path. When I select the two end sketches and choose the centreline path, Inventor keeps kicking back an error that the centreline is not smooth. I'm not sure how to resolve as the centreline is simply two lines connected together.

Interestingly if I use the sweep command and use the same centreline Inventor has no issue. I've attached the part below. I'm trying to create a hook shape.. If someone knows what I might be doing wrong so I can avoid in the future it would help loads..

thanks hook.ipt

You do not have tangency between the line and the arc in the 3d sketch. But adding tangency still doesn't allow a loft. It may be because the plane of the arc is skewed to any plane the line could be on? Anyway here are two solutions:

1) Instead of using a 3d sketch, define your centerline path with a 2d sketch created on a new workplane. As it is, your 3d sketch geometry is near planar to the zx plane. Why is it not planar? Even if the loft did work using the geometry you have, being just slightly out of plane is going too cause you all sorts of headaches if you try to create a drawing, constrain it in an assembly, or manufacture this part.

2) Delete the line in the 3d sketch and replace with a two point spline and add tangency between the arc and spline, and then loft (you will need to fix/ground your end points at the profile sections. But again, the part centerline is still not on a true plane.

Edited by ecshclark

It occurred to me that maybe you are doing too much work.

Download the attached file.

Find the red End of Part marker at the top of the browser.

Drag the red EOP down step-by-step to see how I created the part.

Hook.png

Hook.zip

Edited by JD Mather