Unknown Command "VMTEXT"

drillsys

Hello,

I have a user that gets the error message:

Command:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autocad Raster Design 2014\aecivtui57.arx cannot find a dll or other file that it needs.

Unknown command "VMTEXT". Press F1 for help.

Pressing F1 to get the help errors out anyway, but thats a different problem and related to our firewall I think anyway. But searching around I can't find anything about VMTEXT or why this might be happening! I'll admit, I know nothing of AutoCad or how it works! So any help would be fantastic :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Jay

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drillsys

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no VMTEXT command in plain AutoCAD. Not sure why you'd ask since it appears you are using AutoCAD Raster Design 2014 which is an AutoCAD vertical product. What exactly are you using raster design for?

VMTEXT sounds like a vectorization tool. Is that correct?

Could the command have been undefined?

You could try running a REPAIR of the installation.

Hi ReMark, thanks for your reply.

I'm not the one using the program unfortunately, so I can't really answer those questions. I'm looking into it on behalf of one of the guys who do use it. As far as I am aware they have several versions of AutoCad installed and the screenshot that the chap sent me had the above error message when he clicks the text tool. In fact, I'll attach the screenshot he sent me.

2.jpg

I haven't tried a repair yet because of them having various versions!

Yes, hold off on the REPAIR option.

The tab looks like it says "Raster Tools". Above that it says "AutoDesk AutoCAD 2014". Is VMTEXT the only raster tool that is currently not working as it should?

VMTEXT sounds like a vectorization tool. Is that correct?

Yes, VMTEXT is a Raster Design command.

Command:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autocad Raster Design 2014\aecivtui57.arx cannot find a dll or other file that it needs.

Those type of messages from Raster Design usually indicate a missing path in Options.

If you switch profiles or create a new profile, or even have a new user logon to this machine, does the error persist?

The tab looks like it says "Raster Tools". Above that it says "AutoDesk AutoCAD 2014". Is VMTEXT the only raster tool that is currently not working as it should?

As far as I am aware they are. The only problems he has told me about is this text tool (you are correct, it does say Raster Tools and AutoCAD 2014) and that the online help doesn't load, but that is to do with our proxy. I will ask him to check the other tools.

If you switch profiles or create a new profile, or even have a new user logon to this machine, does the error persist?

I do not know, but I will ask another designed to log on to his machine and try it.

Thanks for responses so far :)

Comparing his installed software to the software list on the Design Suite page, I don't think so. He has:

AutoCAD Electrical 2014

AutoCAD Mechanical 2014

AutoCAD Performance Plug-in

AutoCAD Raster Design

And a handful of other AutoDesk software packages.

When I used to use Raster Design. The tool bars used to be present even if I opened plain AutoCAD but I couldn't use the commands unless I opened closed AutoCAD and opened Raster Design. You may also be able to activate them by switching profiles as Mr. McSwain stated.

... tool bars used to be present even if I opened plain AutoCAD but I couldn't use the commands unless I opened closed AutoCAD and opened Raster Design.

If the correct paths are present, you can launch and use Raster Design commands anytime, from any profile. No special desktop shortcut needed (Raster Design isn't its own application, just a set of ARX files used by AutoCAD.)

In your case, it may have been because the proper paths were only in the profile launched by your "Raster Design" icon. I include the paths for our users so we don't have to shut down, restart, etc.

Comparing his installed software to the software list on the Design Suite page, I don't think so. He has:

AutoCAD Electrical 2014

AutoCAD Mechanical 2014

AutoCAD Performance Plug-in

AutoCAD Raster Design

And a handful of other AutoDesk software packages.

I was wondering because I have access to Design Suite 2014 and I could check the default OOTB paths to compare to what you find.

It's possible to have AutoCAD 2014 and Raster Design 2014 (no suite, just those two apps) and IDK if the paths would be the same.

If the correct paths are present, you can launch and use Raster Design commands anytime, from any profile. No special desktop shortcut needed (Raster Design isn't its own application, just a set of ARX files used by AutoCAD.)

In your case, it may have been because the proper paths were only in the profile launched by your "Raster Design" icon. I include the paths for our users so we don't have to shut down, restart, etc.

That may be so but when I was using it, we were required to shut down AC and start RD because it was a separate license and we only had one. I was hoping to get the user to start RD to see if the commands still work or if there is a deeper problem.

Still waiting on the user to get back to me, I think he is pretty busy at the moment. It's one of those 'complain about it when he wants it, forget it ever happened the rest of the time' problems...

That may be so but when I was using it, we were required to shut down AC and start RD because it was a separate license and we only had one. I was hoping to get the user to start RD to see if the commands still work or if there is a deeper problem.

The following applies to non-suite setups

AutoCAD is licensed and Raster Design (ARD) is licensed.

Shutting down AutoCAD to start ARD doesn't change anything - they both still use one license.

Now I could possibly understand someone wanting you to shut down AutoCAD when you are done with ARD (the idea being that the ARD license is then released). But you don't even have to do that, you can release a network license for ARD with the iUnload command, without closing AutoCAD.

Isn't raster design built on top of plain AutoCAD (as many vertical products are)? Why would there be a separate license for each?

Not in the pre-suite days.

ARD was a separate licensed application, with it's own serial number, etc., even though it could not be used on its own (it requires some CAD engine like AutoCAD or AutoCAD Map)

Where will I find the paths? Are they a configurable option? (Forgive my ignorance!) I'll find them and post them here :)

Sorry, I reread my post and I wasn't very clear. I was referring to the Support File Search Paths in Options

AutoCAD > Options Command > Files Tab

Example of our paths highlighting the ARD paths

pathard.jpg