xref appearing over-stretched in main drawing

Sigrun

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong when the plan I'm trying to 'x-ref' into the main drawing appears all stretched (and massively overscaled).?

Thanks,

S

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong when the plan I'm trying to 'x-ref' into the main drawing appears all stretched (and massively overscaled).?

Thanks,

S

In AutoCAD, stretched and scaled mean different things. Is really too big and skewed in one direction, or is it just too big? If it's just too big then it is probably a units issue. rkent's solution will work if that is the case.

Edited by RobDraw

If it is a scaling issue then check your INSUNITS variable setting. Following are the settings for given units:

m = 6

mm = 4

inches = 1

feet = 2

With this set correctly in the xref you can insert it at a scale of 1 and the insunits variable takes care of the scaling factor.

Essentially you get the same result as what rkent suggested - and it's the way I did it previously - but now I use the insunits variable.

I always check consultants drawings for the correct insunits when I receive them. I know that civil and survey files are drawn in metres so set the insunits to 6. I know that architectural files are drawn in mm so set the insunits to 4.

Regards

Paul Stafford

http://cadsmarter.com

I quite often have xref's come into the drawing at the wrong scale even though the units in both files are the same. But in the properties window it says the xref is unitless. I've given up worrying about it just change x,y,z scales back to 1 and move on.

I like to check each drawing as I receive it and:

1. run the SETBYLAYER command

2. check and correct the units

takes less than a minute and I know that every time I - or anyone else in the team - need to use the files they are at the correct units

Regards

Paul Stafford

http://cadsmarter.com