view of flying starship in sky from planet surface -help?

AlienBZ

i'm trying to create a model of an alien man standing alone of the surface of his home planet watching a flying saucer that has the appearance like the story in the bible in exodus 3:2 where Moses sees the burning bush, and this saucer is is in flight thru the sky, moving from left to right, traveling at warp 9 (ship looks like its on fire), so I created a plane to be the planet surface, and have already used the modifiers > parametric deformers > displace on the plane. the plane's width/length segments are both set to 160, strength is set to 33. but somehow I cannot get any contours on the plane. I'm using tut 3.1 from my 3ds max 6 animation and visual effects techniques book by sanford kennedy on pages 70 - 71 (i really like this book, although it is old, i'm glad i bought it).

in my situation, when i changed the strength from 0 to 33, the plane raised up high off the ground (3ds max floor grid) instead of producing realistic land contours - what am I doing wrong/what am I supposed to do?

thanks in advance.

on our way to another galaxy - 000.max

on our way to another galaxy.jpg

You need to supply the Displace modifier with a black and white bitmap image so it knows what it is supposed to displace.

You also need to give the plane some geometry for the Displace modifier to work with. Click on "Plane" in the modifier stack and change the length and width segments to 50 or more, depending on how defined you want the topology.

• 11 months later...

After adding the Displace modifier click on "None" under Image: Map and select Speckle to add a rough texture to the plane. Also make sure that you have set the Length and Width segs to a reasonable number. At least 4 but 10 or 20 may give you the results you want. I used 20 in the example below.

Displace-modifier.JPG