Autocad Electrical Edit component GUI

richard3009

Not sure where to post questions about Autocad Electrical on here, please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place. My question: Using the "Insert/Edit Component" GUI what do the two data entry boxes labeled "Installation Code" and "Location Code" mean? for example on the demo drawing the "location code" input box is pre-filled with MCAB5 . Thanks.

Edited by richard3009

There is a seperate area for ACAD-Electrical questions but you may as well stay here, that is a very low traffic place. Don't double post when you find it. A moderator may move this post to that area for you.

I don't use ACADE these days but the installation code & location code are physical locations for the object you are inserting and they depend on how you are running the project.

In our drawings we would probably use location code to specifiy a location within a panel - Rail A etc. We would then probably use installation for the actual panel identifier although it could be used to define building, floor or room and then use location to include the panel name.

They are free for you to use as you see fit. I think as you insert an item the most recent used installation and location are put in the box but you are free to change it.

probably be a million more questions as I have set myself the foolish task of learning this software, got a great tutorial on disk, but its great if I can discuss aspects of it too, sorry if I become a pain.

I did three days training when we were looking at getting electrical. I then came back to work and tried it on a little project and found it did some things very well and others not so. Nobody else in the office has used it and subsequently it has fallen into disuse, along with my memory of how to drive it.

In otehr words I'm not the best person to talk to but there are a few others around with a working knowledge. In future try to post in the Electrical section - I think it is in the "verticals" section.

I would point out that it is a VERY complex program and if you intend using it in anger a few days paid training will probably pay for itself very quickly.

I did three days training when we were looking at getting electrical. I then came back to work and tried it on a little project and found it did some things very well and others not so. Nobody else in the office has used it and subsequently it has fallen into disuse, along with my memory of how to drive it.

In otehr words I'm not the best person to talk to but there are a few others around with a working knowledge. In future try to post in the Electrical section - I think it is in the "verticals" section.

I would point out that it is a VERY complex program and if you intend using it in anger a few days paid training will probably pay for itself very quickly.

agreed.

i can see the potential of it, and have seen many drawings where it has obviously been used very successfully, but personally i have never got to grips with it by self-learning even though i have tried many many times.

Thanks for that, the tutorial I have seems to go into every detail starting with the very basics building slowly, I'm mainly planning for my future as my current job is in the balance; and I would like to be in the position to put Autocad Electrical on my CV knowing I can use it inside out.

bought it off fleabay, started by looking on youtube but there was no structure to the lessons, with this one I can pop on my headphones and do an hour a night

Good luck with your learning, its not nice when your current job is in the balance.

I'm not sure how prevalent ACADE is in the UK (I assume you are UK from your posting times) but it doesn't look that big. However, while the job market may be small it is also thinly staffed so you could be making a wise choice. I would say that one reason we don't use ACADE here is that we use a lot of contract staff and there are only a few with ACADE experience so we are better sticking with vanilla ACAD and a bigger workforce list.

The other reason we haven't adopted it is that it adds certain constraints on how you set up a project, often mutually exclusive to our way of working. We would have to chose whether we change our way of working, adapt to ACADEs or meet half way. I would be surprised if other companies have to make the same choices so don't expect all installations to behave the same. This may help you in that your next company knows they have a learning curve.

I would say keep learning ACADE but making sure you know as much as possible about vanilla ACAD will make you more marketable.

Yes UK based I have been using ACAD standard to draw and modify electrical drawings for the past 6 years, started on Microstation 18 years ago, still use that for our older drawings no problems knocking together drawing in standard autocad, guess I'm just being ambitious good to have on the CV, I was a time served electrician for 10 years on some large UK projects been in the industry since I was a kid.

If you have 6 years AutoCAD, 10+ years Microstation and 10 years practical then adding ACADE does sound a sensible addition. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Keep an eye on the electrical section here, you may be able to answer some questions in there soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard, I'm new to the forum, and been using AutoCAD Electrical for about 2 years now. I figured I'd finally become a member here and start being more active.

I can't call myself an expert, but am attempting to implement some of the more advanced features of AutoCAD Electrical into our workflow. Like dbroada said "it adds certain constraints on how you set up a project, often mutually exclusive to our way of working. We would have to chose whether we change our way of working, adapt to ACADEs or meet half way. I would be surprised if other companies have to make the same choices so don't expect all installations to behave the same." I totally agree. Our electrical drawings were setup with standard AutoCAD years ago, and haven't changed a bit. But now, they are wanting to "optimize" things using AutoCAD Electrical... however it's been taking longer than "normal" to setup a new set of drawings (as we are converting everything over manually)... and yes each new job (which is based on an old job) has to be converted manually, a lot of decisions have to be made as to how to lay things out before you start too... Hopefully after enough iterations of updates, we will finally start drawing from a pool of "Electrical friendly" drawings/projects.