logitech mouse and middle button for pan

designerstuart

hi all

i can see i have accidentally bought a dodgy mouse, judging by the online hate for this! i have an Anywhere MX and the middle mouse button does not work well for pan.

SLW210 posted in this thread a link to this website http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm which looks like very handy software - but i cannot find the right settings to do the trick. anyone know what i need to set it to?

also, in this software there seems to be no tab to customise the thumb buttons, which would be handy.

thanks all, have a nice day.

I do not have that loaded anymore at work, but I believe you need to look through the settings more, should show options for every button on the mouse, maybe they aren't in the order you think they are.

Unless like you say, you have a dodgy mouse, but I used several cheap mice on the home computer with it and no problems. I did get a buggy update on that program once, but they had that fixed in a few days.

What mouse do you have? Never mind I see it.

What OS are you using? Your Profile has XP.

A mouse and driver that supports 5 buttons.

NOTE: If your mouse has 5 buttons but the 4th and 5th buttons don't do anything in XP64 by default - this probably wont work for you. This software relies on the driver to send the default 4th and 5th mouse button messages which in XP64 default to BACK/NEXT in IE. Actually, a 2 or 3 button mouse can be customised but is there any point?!

Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7.

X-Mouse Button Control supports both 32bit (x86) and 64bit (x64) editions of Windows XP and later.

thanks for the reply.

actually this is a new laptop, so windows 8.

the secondary buttons are not a big deal, but i just don't know which setting to assign to the mouse wheel click (button 3) so when i press it i can pan in autocad.

don't know if it will work on this mouse, as it might treat the mouse wheel and the third mouse button separately - it has a little button behind the wheel which i have to use to pan, which is annoying.

see what i'm talking about here if it doesn't make sense! http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/anywhere-mouse-mx

It doesn't mention Windows 8 on the site. Might be the problem.

Windows®-based computer

• Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, Windows® 7
  • USB port
  • Internet access

You don't see any options with the Logitech software?

Seems X Mouse Button should see it, just might be a different button than you think.

Looks like a descent mouse, though, I might order one around Christmas.

P.S.

Have you tried removing SetPoint?

i tried setpoint - everyone online has similar problem. some suggest setting button 3 to 'other' then 'generic button', but i don't get that option. it looks to me like the wheel click function has been removed from the wheel, and pot into a button behind it, called 'app switcher'. which is strange as the wheel click still works as a cruise scroll on web pages, pdfs etc.

x-mouse does seem like a more powerful and user friendly bit of kit. maybe (i cannot believe it) there is just not the functionality with this mouse to pan when the wheel is pressed?

otherwise it is a great mouse. it really does work on shiny surfaces, which is handy. feels nice, lots of buttons. maybe i'll have to wait til you get one, and we'll work out the panning together!

i actually tried x-mouse first, then setpoint. yes, i saw win8 not on list, but it seems to work okay. i'm convinced the problem now is the hardware of the mouse, i.e. there is no mouse wheel click button that can be configured. Bah.

Yes, you might check on the Highrez Forums, phil (Admin) is Phillip Gibbons the Author of X Mouse Button and is on there quite often.

The X Mouse Button software uses the available mouse driver, so it could be as simple as finding a different driver.

• 3 weeks later...

just for completeness: this mouse does not have the functionality i am after.

but on a positive note, i have totally got used to it, which i did not want, or expect!