Automatically "twisting" drawing files

This being my first post, I just want to thank everyone because this site has helped me fix about a million issues.

My issue right now that I can't seem to find an answer to is it seems that when a certain engineer in my office opens a drawing at her computer and saves it, the drawing is slightly "twisted" i guess you could say.

I have a fix to this issue, for example, I use DVIEW and change the points to 0,0,0 and 0,0,1. Which works just fine and fixes it. But for some strange reason it seems like after she opens the file and saves it, the target point usually ends up as something like 1.35454,2.5664721,0.0000076 And I know that the last coordinate is what causes the problem.

I'm just curious if there may be a variable or something set on her computer that would keep causing that to happen when she opens a drawing so that I can set it back to default and eliminate the time spent on running the DVIEW command on every drawing that she opens.

P.S. she is not an experienced CAD user by any stretch, so I don't think that this is something she would know how to change or cause.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for a quick response!

But it's highly unlikely. She has the same version of AutoCAD as the rest of my office has and we don't really use any 3rd party software. And I have only just gotten into using LISP routines to do simple tasks, so I doubt that would have anything to do with it. It would have to be something that shes doing, most likely without realizing she's doing it. She can have a drawing open for just a minute or so, just after I've run the DVIEW command to fix it, and as soon as she saves and exits the drawing, when I go back in, that value in the target point is slightly off again.

Could it maybe have anything to do with how her UCS would be defaulted?

I don't think there is a variable that would set it to such a weird number by default. Did you check all the different views in DDVIEW? Maybe she keeps saving it in the view that has that value.

I've looked at her station and checked a ton of things to see if they are defaulted correctly and everything seems to be right. I'm starting to think it is caused by her without her realizing it. Possibly while she's panning through the drawing? The value isn't consistent. It's always a different number each time that I have to change it, which is leading me to think that it could be personal error on her part. If it were a default setting somewhere, it would always be consistent. But it's always such a small value (like 0.0000015" or something) that I have no clue how she would cause that. 'Tis a mystery to me and the other drafter here.

Yeah, it is most likely caused by her. There isn't any setting that you could have that would cause it to change to that. Did you watch her open, save, and close a drawing to see if it doesn't change? If it doesn't it's just user error. If it does change, then... Light the computer on fire. It's the only way. No, if it does change, then I don't know what the problem could possibly be. I've never heard of something like that happening before.

I had her open a file after I had fixed it, zoom in slightly, save, and exit the drawing. when i came back to my station, the value was off again. After that, in order to see if there was any consistency at all, I left the value and had her do the same thing again to see if maybe it would double or go to another random value, and when i returned and checked, it was back to 0.0" again. I'm going to re-install it into her computer assuming that it must just be some sort of glitch in her software. If that doesn't take care of the issue, then I will just have to keep an eye on any drawings coming from her to be sure that they aren't screwed up when we send them out, which isn't that bad, I suppose. Just a very curious case, in my opinion.

Thanks very much for the help!

Does she pan with the Shift key held down to pan in Ortho? If you hit the shift and then the center wheel on the mouse you will be in 3Dorbit mode which would change to a UCS other than WCS. Let us know how she does pan in the drawing.

Does she pan with the Shift key held down to pan in Ortho? If you hit the shift and then the center wheel on the mouse you will be in 3Dorbit mode which would change to a UCS other than WCS. Let us know how she does pan in the drawing.

I also thought of this as a possibility, but she pans without the shift key.

I'm now finding something even more strange. It seems that when i double-click the center wheel (zoom extents) and run the DVIEW command, it is consistently popping up with the last value in the target value as 0.00076", but if I pan around in the drawing and run DVIEW again, without having done anything to the drawing itself, its back to 0.0000". Which may eliminate the idea that it is her computer causing the issue, but the only time we've ever noticed this problem is when working on a project for her. Hard to pinpoint which station is responsible for the problem when I have no clue what in the world would even be causing it :?

Does it do the same thing when you zoom to the limits?

Yes. It's being pretty random with when the value shows up as 0.00076" and when it is 0.00000". I do nothing other than pan to a corner of the drawing and the value changes but it's only changing about half the time.

I started a new drawing with the no template option, immediately upon opening I went to dview, and then POints and found that the Z value was set to .00076289.

I started a new drawing with the no template option, immediately upon opening I went to dview, and then POints and found that the Z value was set to .00076289.

Hmm. That's interesting. We work off of a set of base files here so I don't really use templates. It's good news that you're getting the same number as me. That must mean it's not a glitch in my software lol. Now I just wish i had some way to prevent that from happening. It's such a strange thing to have randomly happen.

I Tried that with 2014 LT and the target Z is 0.0000. I guess they really want LT to stay flat. :)