viewport scaling problems

Seahorse

I have drawn a part in mm in model space that is relatively small (50x50mm) and I drew in model space at a 1:1 scale with mm set as my units. However when I go into paper space and set my scaling which should be in the neighborhood of 3:1 instead it fits at 1:8. It appears to me that in paper space it interprets my 50mm as 50inches and "scales down" what is already a small object. Thanks for any help.

(Woo first post)

Welcome to Cadtutor.

Your analysis sound about right to me. Do you know if you started the dwg with an imperial template, or a metric template? (acad.dwt vs acadiso.dwt)

ie were 3:1 & 1:8 already on the scale list, or where they imperial scales such as 1" = 1'-0"?

What are the dims of the title block? If you used an imperial title block then the viewport won't be large enough for your expected scale to work.

Welcome to Cadtutor.

Your analysis sound about right to me. Do you know if you started the dwg with an imperial template, or a metric template? (acad.dwt vs acadiso.dwt)

ie were 3:1 & 1:8 already on the scale list, or where they imperial scales such as 1" = 1'-0"?

I forgot which one I made the template with but I'd guess imperial. The 3:1 and 1:8 were on the scale were there already but so were the inches and feet scalings.

The imperial template, acad.dwt, is the AutoCAD default. The metric template many users prefer is acadiso.dwt. Once you have made that your selection AutoCAD should default to it the next time you start a new drawing and every time after until you change it again.

You still have the option of converting your present drawing to metric units using the -DWGUNITS command.

If you created an metric drawing in an Imperial template, IMO the easiest fix is to open both your drawing, and the acadiso.dwt template and copy/paste from one to the other.