Really legal Acad 2009

fostertom

If I wanted to run Acad 2009 but no later, for 2D only, is there any legal way? Someone said purchase 2013 and you can 'cripple' it to 2009 - what other way? Is a genuine unregistered copy transferable? What happened to the court case legitimising that, back about 2008?

Yes I have DraftSight but for example the unalterable grey screen on entering a Block makes it illegible and I do a lot of that - plus a couple of other foibles.

I doubt there is any way Autodesk would permit you to activate that software unless you could prove it was originally purchased legally as a stand-alone version and it has never been installed. If you purchased a current subscription, you could then request a previous version license. Contact an authorized reseller, they're the licensing experts.

What would be the sense of buying a 2013 version (probably not available as 2014 is already out) then crippling it? You'd still be charged full price so you might as well use all the features. Anyways, how does one "cripple" a newer version short of using an AutoCAD Classic workspace?

Since you mentioned using Draftsight it sounds like all your work is 2D. If that is the case then buying full AutoCAD would be a waste of money. You'd be better off buying AutoCAD LT or a clone like Bricscad (even cheaper than LT).

I agree, 'crippling' is daft, perhaps they meant being allowed to download 2009. 2013 has far too many confusing features that get in the way - tried the 30 day one. 2009 is optimum. LT maybe. Are other clones better than DraftSight, which I tried to get on with for quite a while?

I doubt there is any way Autodesk would permit you to activate that software unless you could prove it was originally purchased legally as a stand-alone version and it has never been installed. If you purchased a current subscription, you could then request a previous version license. Contact an authorized reseller, they're the licensing experts.
Wd that be difficult to prove, if true? must be some around.

There are low cost AutoCAD clones that are better than Draftsight. I specifically mentioned the best one (in my opinion) which would be Bricscad. Do you want to know about others because I can provide you with a link that mentions a few more?

Download 2009? From where, a warez site? CADTutor does not recommend nor does it condone the use of pirated software.

Would it be difficult to prove that a copy of AutoCAD 2009 is a legal stand-alone version and has never been installed? I don't know. You'd have to contact either a reseller or AutoCAD directly. Expect to be asked a lot of questions and to show proof of purchase from a legitimate source.

Wd that be difficult to prove, if true? must be some around.
Your reseller would know right away what licenses you have. Then your I.T. department could see what is installed and where.

I can provide you with a link that mentions a few more?
Yes please, save me researching.

From where, a warez site?
Would I?

show proof of purchase from a legitimate source
Yes, must be some around still - but where to find? Nothing on ebay, Amazon, google - does everyone think they'll be hammered by Acad even tho quite legit and genuine?

Yes, must be some around still - but where to find? Nothing on ebay, Amazon, google - does everyone think they'll be hammered by Acad even tho quite legit and genuine?
By "must be some around still" I originally thought you were meaning an older existing license at your work.

You do not "buy" AutoCAD, you technically "lease" it. This is why you cannot legally find older versions because the shelf life has expired. Once you make a purchase of an AutoCAD license you can use that version as long as you'd like and the only thing you risk is support from Autodesk after enough time has passed. The AutoCAD 2013 argument regarding "too many confusing features" is irrelevant since it has all the same features as AutoCAD 2009 - with some extra tools and functionality that are not considered an obstruction since every tool has to be executed by the user which makes it "as-needed" by its nature.

OK I'll consider it closed and shut up - unless someone says something new. Final thing - how long is the 'shelf life' before a purchased copy has to be registered, otherwise dead forever? Is it linked to Adesk's withdrawal of support for that version?

You have 30 days to register your software and obtain an activation code. For those 30 days AutoCAD runs like a trial version (fully functional however). On day 31, if you haven't obtained an activation code you're locked out of the program and will have to call AutoDesk and explain your situation. I believe support for a particular version is linked to the file format it uses. File formats change every three years. Ex. - AutoCAD 2007/8/9 share the same file format. AutoCAD 2010/11/12 share the same file format. AutoCAD 2013/14/15 will share the same file format.