For Reference Only

Barneel

We've had a few differing opinions at work as to what it means to stamp a drawing with 'For Reference Only'. Some people use it for any unfinished drawings, others use it to convey "I'm not certain this is correct", and some use it when the drawing is not to scale (but dimensions are correctly stated or something like that..).

I'd be interested to hear what situation you guys would have to be in in order to stamp something with 'For Reference Only'.

Personally I try to avoid that stamp as much as possible unless somebody specifically requests it...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• RobDraw

• Barneel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By definition if something is used 'for reference' then what is contained within that reference document should be capable of being relied upon. I have used the word 'Provisional' for documents that are unfinished and likely to change. IMHO if a document cannot be relied upon it should not be marked 'For Reference Only'.

I would suggest defining several terms for you company to show different states of a drawing: draft, provisional, for internal use only, obsolete, superseded, for reference only, incomplete are just a few examples that might fit your situation.

The last company I worked for basically only used 'FOR APPROVAL' 'APPROVED' and 'AS BUILT', I could imagine 'FOR INFORMATION' being used to issue drawings from a third party (manufacturers of appliances or the like, but being issued under your own logo).

I could imagine 'FOR INFORMATION' being used to issue drawings from a third party (manufacturers of appliances or the like, but being issued under your own logo).

That's an interesting one, and a very good point.

I have top disagree with Tyke. Drawings with the "For Reference Only" stamp on them cannot be relied upon to be correct as opposed to the actual construction documents. Usually they are used to show intent when actual field conditions are not available. For example the drawings could be from another part of the building or even from another similar project.

Unfinished drawings get a "Progress" or "Not for Construction" stamp.

Drawings that are not to scale just get the scale labeled as such.

I have top disagree with Tyke. Drawings with the "For Reference Only" stamp on them cannot be relied upon to be correct as opposed to the actual construction documents. Usually they are used to show intent when actual field conditions are not available. For example the drawings could be from another part of the building or even from another similar project

Aha, this is the debate that was going on in the office :lol:

I can understand the confusion but a few searches have not given me the definition that Tyke has stated. I'd like to see anything that supports that definition. Everything I've seen says that it means that the information cannot be relied upon.

Aha, this is the debate that was going on in the office :lol:

I knew it would :lol:. But what RobDraw and others should always bear in mind is that terminology from industry to industry is different, the needs of individual companies is also different, and there is no international LAW that says what prevails in one country MUST be adopted by the rest of the world. Language is also imprecise, especially all the various versions of the English language. That's why I said

I would suggest defining several terms for your company ...
(typo corrected)

I am bearing that in mind but they cannot be that much different. That is why I am asking for ANYTHING that supports your definition because numerous searches on my part tell me differently.

Do you ever use a "For Reference Only" stamp?

I'm pretty sure the phrase "For reference only" means the same thing around the world (i.e. - similar to but not exactly the same). You (Tyke) must work in a very tight circle of companies if it means just the opposite.

"Please also note, that processing times marked on our website are for reference only because every process has to be checked individually."

The above comes from a German website regarding the recycling of electronic waste.

RobDraw: No in Germany we do not use that stamp and when I was in the UK I never used it there either.

ReMark: Surveying, construction, architecture, utilities, software. That's not really

a very tight circle of companies

If I don't know something then I look it up in a reference document. If working for a client I use his standards as a reference. In neither of these cases can I believe that the references cannot be relied upon.

I issue potential clients with drawings from previous jobs as an example with for infomation only stamped on if its a budget quote and there not ready to spend money.

Then it's Issued for clients approval. Then Issued for construction then any As builds for things like name plate data filled on the drawing after plant registration etc. I'm sure it's slightly different in the states after reading your posts. P.s I'm down under..

I'm with tyke on this one. If I supply a "FOR REFERENCE" drawing in a pack it will contain information pertinent to the build but not forming part of it. It may show the power supply further upstream, and would show the voltage, frequency and protection supplied.

It may be more accurately described as "FOR INFORMATION" but in either case I would expect it to be correct.