overwriting dimension's text

Hello.

I need to overwrite the measurement of quite a lot of dimensions. I do this by double clicking on a dimension and entering properties and writing the text there. However, this takes forever and I need greater efficiency. Does anybody have a clue how to do it more easily?

Thank you.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• igreere

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You didn't answer my question, but it looks like you are trying to change Units.

Are you also changing size (not sure if that was a round-off)?

Looks like Scale might be your solution, but not sure.

Your goal is to multiply all dimensions by a factor of 100 (i.e. convert from meter to cm)? Why don't just add a scale factor in dimension style?

But, if it is not ALL of the dimensions, create a new dimension style with the required scale factor and change the necessary dimensions to the new style (you can do this through properties). You could select all of the dimensions and change the scale factor in properties, though I recommend the dimension style method.

I see absolutely no reason to override the dimension's text, though.

I am sorry for the late reply. Thank you for all the answers.

1.Why is it necessary to overwrite a large number of dimensions? - Because this is what my boss asked me to do. Don't change the plan, only the dimensions.

2. I am not simply multiplying by 100, but changing simply the text with another.

I need to do this with all dimensions.

In your example 4.40 (before) is changed to 445 (after). I don't see a in the "after" dimension. That's a significant change.

Are the drawings going to be printed/plotted "to scale"?

Yes, the drawings are going to be printed to scale. The units in which they were drawn are meters, the new measurements are cm.

In the mean time, I found an answer. I introduced Text override to quick properties, so I don;t have to enter full properties all the time.

So you want to change the units of your drawing not necessarily the dimensions of themselves?

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post and someone here will take a look at it.

Seems that your edit on the dimensions doesn't follow a rule (i.e. 3.978 become 381, 4.375 become 427, while 7.25 is preserved to 725). So, I cannot see how to automate that task; you need a consistent rule to design an AutoLISP routine, for example.

I strongly suggest you to adjust the sketch to suit the new dimensions and not just override the labels - it may take longer, but will be much easier later to adjust it if case or fit new items.

By the way, from which Romanian city you are, Igreere?

Quick question: Are you intentionally trying to screw up the dimensions so a competitor can't take your information and directly copy it? That would be the only reason I could see for wanting to manually override a dimension and intentionally throw it out of scale with the model.

What you are doing is not a good practice. Some bosses think it's okay to do it just to get the project out. It's not. It can only serve to confuse and create more work/problems later.