• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• steven-g

• raynelockyer

• Tuns

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The student has two choices. He can either draw it correctly or he can draw it the way his teacher expects to see it drawn. I don't think those two are going to be the same thing. Reminds me of some of the Penn-Foster projects with their incorrect and/or ambiguous instructions.

Once I looked at all the renders, I saw how wrong the OP's plan view is. Going by the OP's plan, I came up with exactly the same thing as Eldon and steven.

The main roof at the facia should be about 4 feet higher than all the other side hips, and is visually separate from all the rest, at least around most of the perimeter. The OP's plan does not account for the differences in this height.

Another word of recommendation to the OP; Your roof pitch as you mentioned early on is at 45 deg, or 12 in 12. This pitch is going to result in a roof ridge on your main roof at about 20 feet above the ceiling. You just don't want to do that. That is more than double the height of the house walls above ground. I suggest a pitch of no more than 5 inches of rise in 12 inches of run.

that will get you much more pleasing visual proportions.

In order to draw this roof in plan view, the section of the house under the elevated main roof section needs to be discovered. Then draw a basic hip roof section over that. Next all the side hips can be drawn to intersect the man roof. Then trim out or modify all the lines that get covered up.

The plan drawn is the same for any pitch of roof, providing the pitch is the same for all surfaces, the attached image has very different pitches but the plan doesn't change.

Pitch.png

The plan drawn is the same for any pitch of roof, providing the pitch is the same for all surfaces, the attached image has very different pitches but the plan doesn't change.
That's right, the only thing that does change is the ugly factor of the elevations. As far as extreme roof pitches go, more often than not predominant weather factors come into play, eg. wind, water, and snow loading.

Of course, the OP does not have to do the roof exactly like it is shown in the renders. The ceilings can all be at the same height, as well as all the perimeter roof facia lines. In that case, Eldon's and Steven's solutions will suffice.

This is the way I think it would look. No it's not accurate but I think it's what it should generally look like... According to the artistic rendition that is. It's just such an awkward house shape I think.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45394[/ATTACH]

Read what I wrote. I said that's what it should generally look like. I also said it wasn't accurate and that I was basing it on the artistic rendering of the house. I can't make that with cardboard in a million years but that's the way I see the roof if we did it like the architect has drawn it in the pictures.

What you have drawn is physically impossible to build. Nothing to do with artistic impression. It is just plain wrong. I'll try and draw the building as shown on the photos, to try and explain.

If you look at the floor plan that the photos are based on, the OP did not even get that correct.

So how can anyone draw the roof when the floor plans are wrong?

FloorPlan.JPG

Of course the floor plans are wrong. Everyone knows those layouts are just pretty pictures and any resemblance of the dimensions to reality is purely accidental.

Cold hearted orb that rules the night, Removes the colours from our sight, Red is gray and yellow white, But we decide which is right. And which is an illusion?

Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues

Out of the OP's mouth

We had to copy out the floor plan from a house we found & add the roofplan. I chose this floor plan

If you do an overlay, you can see some serious redesign has been taking place.

Overlay.jpg

The roof for the drawing in the photos, would be something like this (allowing for a bit of artistic license)

Yeeesh, when that thing gets built, an entire framing crew is going to be able to afford new trucks.