XEON e5 processor, Is anyone using one of these processors?

Handiman

Just wondering about who would need this much of a processor.

What software and work you are doing?

Do you feel you could get by with less?

Most of these processors are now above 1k. Is it really necessary?

Just wondering about who would need this much of a processor.

What software and work you are doing?

Do you feel you could get by with less?

Most of these processors are now above 1k. Is it really necessary?

This is a matter of opinion, obviously, however I think most will definitely agree that the $1k+ processor is an elite level of power. You absolutely can get by with less for almost all normal sized 3D CAD projects and operations. Also note that there are increasing industry hardware changes that is now taking more advantage of your graphics card (aka GPU) rather than relying solely on the processing power. Time will tell, but in the distant future I'd say the GPU will be a primary focus on a lot of intensive graphics related tasks, so it'll be more of a combination of CPU/GPU in a complimentary environment, splitting the workload.

We will be receiving our custom built workstation with an E5-2687W (8 Cores @ 3.1 GHz). This computer will be specifically used for running lighting simulations in AGI32 (extremely processor intensive software).

As tzframpton mentioned, for the majority of 3-D CAD work this is not required.

• 2 months later...

I work in Civil Engineering, and use Civil 3D daily... Having just changed employment, my new workstation is a Dell Precision T3600, Six Core XEON E5-1650, 3.2GHz, 12M, Turbo+, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000 video card.

This new employer used to purchase all their computers through a 3rd party IT services firm (as we're a very small firm). They had just done all new computer upgrades prior to my being hired on (Dell Optiplex computers). But since the workstation I had been using for the past three years with my former employer was still superior, the owner asked me to configure my new workstation. The 3rd party IT pricing seemed very high to me, so I asked about our getting direct pricing through Dell with a small business account.

In the end, I purchased the workstation above, two 24" widescreen monitors, and next-day shipped everything for less than what the 3rd party IT company priced the lesser workstation alone! I now coordinate all computer purchases, and manage our Dell credit account. LoL

[EDIT] - My former workstation was a Dell Precision M6600 laptop, Quad Core Intel i7 2.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA Quadro (mobile), and it performed fine early on, but in later, more recent projects seemed to lag a bit.

Well done Black Box, I am really glad to hear that you are in a new work situation, which seems to agree with you.

No doubt your new employer is appreciative of your savvy and added value above and beyond what was likely your job description!. :beer:

Well done Black Box, I am really glad to hear that you are in a new work situation, which seems to agree with you.

No doubt your new employer is appreciative of your savvy and added value above and beyond what was likely your job description!. :beer:

That is incredibly kind of you to say, my friend. :beer:

I am very blessed, and have much to be thankful for.

Cheers

Ditto on this!!