• mikeyyy

• nestly

• SuperCAD

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Most forum members would probably model it in 3D, then use any of the numerous

commands to extract your orthogonal and isometric views, with a single keystroke.

VIEWBASE is one of the many ways to do it, from a 3D Solid.

Sorry I am too time constrained to take this any further right now.

Edited by Dadgad

I would agree with modeling it as a 3D solid and then grabbing your orthographic views from that using VIEWBASE.

Orthographic-Views.jpg

Edited by SuperCAD

I too would do it in 3D then project each view using FLATSHOT, but to draw in 2D, I would rotate (copy) the existing view and then use 100% polar tracking to create the 3rd view.

mikeyyy.gif

I would agree with modeling it as a 3D solid and then grabbing your orthographic views from that using VIEWBASE.

you can draw it in 3d with just those two sides?? sorry im a beginner xd

I too would do it in 3D then project each view using FLATSHOT, but to draw in 2D, I would rotate (copy) the existing view and then use 100% polar tracking to create the 3rd view.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45519[/ATTACH]

appreciate the gif nestly this was amazing as i could visualize everything, but since you mentioned the 3d drawing, would you say it is easier to draw it in 3d than to do it in 2d?

Once you're familiar with the 3D environment and the 3D tools, IMO it's easier/faster to model the part once in 3D, compared to drawing 3 or more views in 2D.

isn't it just basically drawing the front view first and extruding it by the height of the top view, and then working with the top view and editing out the regtangular prisms?

Yep, that's one way, or extrude/presspull the whole thing from the front view.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45569[/ATTACH]

once again you are amazing, ive learned so much from these clips than my teacher LOL. just one last tiny thing and you may be freed: how do you get the thing to be green when I extrude it!

how do you get the thing to be green when I extrude it!

The extrusion inherits the properties of the current layer.... let me know if I need to elaborate. :)

Beautifully demonstrated, as we have come to expect from you nestly! :beer:

I suspect you may have lit a serious fire under mikey's desire to attain modeling fluency without further delay.

Press Pull will certainly speed up that process.

mikey, once it is 3D modeled like this, you just let the software do the rest, with

a bit of guidance from you along the way.

Here's a few things to consider.

1) When working in 3D, you may want to switch to a 3D visual style. Based on your screencap, yours is currently "2D Wireframe" so 3D objects will still appear as "wires/lines". Experiment to find which Visual Style you prefer, but notice in my animation I'm using "Conceptual" visual style.

2) The "Workspace" in your screencap is "Drafting and Annotation" which is fine if you know the commands, but if you switch to "3D Modeling" the Ribbon will display 3D modeling tools.

3) If you haven't learned to use Layers, that's something you'll want to get acquainted with. Put your 2D "Top view" on one layer, and use a different layer(s) for the 3D objects. Actually, anything that ever may need to be displayed different in a drawing should be on it's own layer. ie if you were drawing a house, there would be layers for 1st floor doors, and different layer for 2nd floor doors/ windows / roof /walls / dimensions etc all need their own layers. So for your part, I'd have at least two user defined layers, one for your 2D views, and one for the 3D part. In my example the layer I had active when I extruded was assigned the color "green", therefore the extrusion was "green"

4) Properties panel displays the current color, lineweight, and linetype. It appears you are drawing everything on Layer0 with properties overrides. As a beginner, I think it's OK to do this, but as you become more experienced and begin to use layers, you'll probably want to avoid property overrides entirely and just use layers to avoid getting murdered by your boss/co-workers ;)

5) In my animation, notice that I copied a portion of the top view and created the extrusion from that. Reason being that the two hidden lines are on the "back" of the part so you don't want them interfering with the creation of the "front" extrusion/presspull. Also, when you EXTRUDE, be aware of the mode (SOlid vs SUrface). For this part, you'll want to create a solid. The isolines in your screencap indicate your extrusion is a SUrface.

6) Final tip for now, it may be helpful to turn the outer perimeter of the part into a closed polyline because closed polylines automatically extrude as solids, not surfaces. Press/Pull on the other hand will always create solids.

tips.jpg

Edited by nestly

Here's a few things to consider.

1) When working in 3D, you may want to switch to a 3D visual style. Based on your screencap, yours is currently "2D Wireframe" so 3D objects will still appear as "wires/lines". Experiment to find which Visual Style you prefer, but notice in my animation I'm using "Conceptual" visual style.

2) The "Workspace" in your screencap is "Drafting and Annotation" which is fine if you know the commands, but if you switch to "3D Modeling" the Ribbon will display 3D modeling tools.

3) If you haven't learned to use Layers, that's something you'll want to get acquainted with. Put your 2D "Top view" on one layer, and use a different layer(s) for the 3D objects. Actually, anything that ever may need to be displayed different in a drawing should be on it's own layer. ie if you were drawing a house, there would be layers for 1st floor doors, and different layer for 2nd floor doors/ windows / roof /walls / dimensions etc all need their own layers. So for your part, I'd have at least two user defined layers, one for your 2D views, and one for the 3D part. In my example the layer I had active when I extruded was assigned the color "green", therefore the extrusion was "green"

4) Properties panel displays the current color, lineweight, and linetype. It appears you are drawing everything on Layer0 with properties overrides. As a beginner, I think it's OK to do this, but as you become more experienced and begin to use layers, you'll probably want to avoid property overrides entirely and just use layers to avoid getting murdered by your boss/co-workers ;)

5) In my animation, notice that I copied a portion of the top view and created the extrusion from that. Reason being that the two hidden lines are on the "back" of the part so you don't want them interfering with the creation of the "front" extrusion/presspull. Also, when you EXTRUDE, be aware of the mode (SOlid vs SUrface). For this part, you'll want to create a solid. The isolines in your screencap indicate your extrusion is a SUrface.

6) Final tip for now, it may be helpful to turn the outer perimeter of the part into a closed polyline because closed polylines automatically extrude as solids, not surfaces. Press/Pull on the other hand will always create solids.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45571[/ATTACH]

agh the layers thing does indeed get me; ill work on that soon; however, i have 3 assignments tomorrow that are similar to the original picture and i just dont like the 45/270 degree method because it requires to think. do you think i could draw a 3d drawing with both top and front view and without using layers??

"thinking" is not a bad thing, and if the instructor expects you to do it in 2D, IMO, that's how you should do it. I kinda feel like you're getting ahead of yourself trying to jump straight into 3D. It's not difficult, but it does take time and practice to learn the tools and procedures. I think it's a bit ambitious to expect to be able to learn all that's in the animation in time to turn in a couple of assignments tomorrow.

And no, you don't "have to" use multiple layers, you can draw everything on one layer (layer0 is the default).

"thinking" is not a bad thing, and if the instructor expects you to do it in 2D, IMO, that's how you should do it. I kinda feel like you're getting ahead of yourself trying to jump straight into 3D. It's not difficult, but it does take time and practice to learn the tools and procedures. I think it's a bit ambitious to expect to be able to learn all that's in the animation in time to turn in a couple of assignments tomorrow.

And no, you don't "have to" use multiple layers, you can draw everything on one layer (layer0 is the default).

THIS IS THE LAST I SWEAR!! CAN U SEE IF I DID THIS CORRECT LOL: 5CENw.png and here is what I Did 5CELj.png

Nestly is right "thinking" is not necessarily a bad thing. :beer:

Hell I have had days when I did it more than once!

If you revisit your front view I think you will find that there is a missing line,

and that in your top view the horizontal lines on the right should not all start

and end together. You also need to consider whether lines are showing or hidden,

and adjust your linetypes to suit.

And the top view should have a corner removed. Create the model in your head first, move it around (not your head - that would make you look daft). And then use the tools you have in Autocad to draw it. The technique you are using is good, you have laid it out well.

If you are really going to attempt to do this in 3D then I would recommend switching to a 3D workspace where you'll have access to many useful commands.