Assembly drawings and rotational joints - is there another way?

ArchieGee

IRS screenshot.jpg

Hi, I'm modelling a multi-link suspension assembly for my car in Inventor 2014. The screenshot above is what I have so far. I'm not actually designing anything, it's more of an "as constructed" drawing as I already have the suspension sitting in my garage (it was removed from a nissan silvia).

My problem is now that I've assembled it, I go to move the knuckles as they would if the suspension was flexing, and nothing will move. I'm pretty sure this is because the "rotational joints" I have created between the suspension arms and the cradle (orange) and knuckles (lime green) do not allow for any non-axial deflection. This lack of "slop" in the joints is causing the model to bind and not move as it should. In the real world, this is not a problem, as every joint has a rubber bushing that gives it a degree of freedom to deflect.

The solution I think is to remove the "rotational joint" relationships and replace them with something that allows for axial deflection. Is there any way of doing this?

If I could create a work point at the centre of each pivot point, on every component, is there a way I could simply mate all the work points to each other?

This would effectively turn every pin and eyelet connection into a ball joint, without me having to physically model a ball and socket on every component.

I'm pretty new to Inventor and am self-taught, so please excuse my ignorance haha. I hope I've been clear enough in posing my question:glare:

Thanks for your time,

Archie

Zip and attach your assembly here.

With multiple joints like that your geometry will have to be exact, or some tricks will have to be used.

I'm assuming your geometry is not exact (but then, neither is the real world).