AutoCAD assignment

Jerome2013

I think that that pattern was done by offsetting lines, and trimming out the bits that were not needed.

There is an anomaly in the pattern that would not be drawn if a hatch pattern were to be used.

For those without too much to do, hunt the anomaly :lol:

Good eyes eldon, took me a minute to find it.

I am inclined to agree with you, in fact I have drawn it that way before.

Once drawing some Weld Mesh on a fabrication drawing I decided to do it like that.

Looked pretty cool, when it was done. A bit tedious though I must admit! :beer:

The only trouble with giving the OP a hatch pattern is that they will never be able to reproduce the lines for their assignment.

Also, they will never have the experience of offsetting and trimming, which was the whole point of an assignment.

Who in their right mind (sorry Dadgad :D) would draw something like that, life is too short, I started, got too about 10 lines, and gave up with boredom. My advise would be for something like this, learn how to create hatch patterns, you also don't get anomolies with a hatch pattern. But you are correct it is a good exercise for learning offset and trim, or even figuring out the 4 lines that are repeated and just doing copy and paste.

However, what would be clever and show a bit of thought is to isolate the repeating pattern, make a block of it and then to multiple copy or array that to fill in the area.

If you do not practise, then you will not have the finger agility to do other things.

Babies being brought up on i-Pads have lost the grasping ability that most learn when young, and now have difficulty holding pens and eating implements :shock:

Seems like such an excessive offsetting and trimming exercise, lol. That's gunna take days.

I guess the most basic way of doing it would be to use the RECTANGLE > specify first point > DIM > 200 > 200

Then draw a set of vertical LINEs at spacings of 10, and once you've got enough to fill the box ROTATE 45 degrees and align as per the drawing (note that there is a line going directly from corner to corner).

Once aligned, select all your lines and use MIRROR, selecting the midpoint of the top and bottom lines of your rectangle as the mirror line and selecting NO when prompted to erase source objects.

Now you have your base its time to get trimmin'. First you'll want to get rid of all the outer lines so I'd just select the rectangle, type TRIM and then select all the lines around the outside of the rectangle to trim them. Once you've done that select all the lines within the rectangle and TRIM them as per the drawing you've been given by just clicking on the parts of the lines you want erasing.

Note:

Its possible to skip the first few of steps and get by using a HATCH pattern on the 200x200 rectangle to get your grid. But this is probably the most fundamental way of doing it.

If you need any of this in more detail, or if something is unclear just let us know.

and now have difficulty holding pens and eating implements
I read that as having difficulting holding pens and having difficulty eating implements. I remember my son growing up too well, the spoon got chewed more often than the food. :roll:

I read that as having difficulting holding pens and having difficulty eating implements. I remember my son growing up too well, the spoon got chewed more often than the food. :roll:

The problem is, that after eating with their hands, they then try to change the TV chanel by swiping over the screen, just like on the I-pad

they then try to change the TV chanel by swiping over the screen

how could I tell that Laurence was getting taller?

he could reach different channel change buttons!

(remember them?)

how could I tell that Laurence was getting taller?

he could reach different channel change buttons!

(remember them?)

Weird. I was thinking about these the other day. I was playing with a set of Siemens PLCs and the little plastic hinge on the front reminded me of the plastic flaps you used to get on TVs that you had to open to access the buttons :D

Who in their right mind (sorry Dadgad :D) would draw something like that, life is too short, I started, got too about 10 lines, and gave up with boredom. My advise would be for something like this, learn how to create hatch patterns, you also don't get anomolies with a hatch pattern. But you are correct it is a good exercise for learning offset and trim, or even figuring out the 4 lines that are repeated and just doing copy and paste.

I never meant to imply that I was, I thought that went without saying. :beer:

No offense taken whatsoever, it was on the spur of the moment, and only a small area.

Had I deemed it something I would do another time, I would have spent a few more minutes

and figured out a better way to do it, of which a number of good suggestions have already been made in this thread.

Thanks for the .pat file.

I like the WEAVE hatch suggestion from nestly, will have to see if I have that too.