Help with mesauring fire escape route using dyblocks/multileader

KiLLiNG-TiME

Hi People,

I'm trying to attach a field to a multi-leader to measure its distance but it seems length isn't an option to add from the properties !! ?, our purpose is for a fire escape route with an arrow head.

We've already done this with a polyline and a field, however it's very time consuming, does anyone have an ideas on maybe a dynamic block with this ability?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as am not sure on the path to take for this one...seems simple yet its got me foxed.

Somebody should have mentioned we are currently using AutoCAD 2013LT (sorry new to posting in a forum is my work colleague)

Edited by KiLLiNG-TiME

you're on the right path with the mleader and field, the only thing left is to write either a lisp or VB.net routine to speed things up.

if you want to use the distance some place else I would do a block attached to the mleader that had attributes for the data you wanted the leader to display/retain for later use.

I could make a few suggestion with doing this through vb.net, but I'm sure alot of other people would say to use a lisp function.

this would set the current DB and prompt for the PLINE to be selected, then store the PLINE object ID in a variable so we can use it later

'get the current document and database
       Dim acDoc As Document = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
       Dim acCurDb As Database = acDoc.Database
       Dim PLINE As ObjectID

'selection define
               Dim sprompopt As PromptSelectionOptions
               Dim acSSPrompt As PromptSelectionResult

'prompt options
                   sprompopt = New PromptSelectionOptions()
                   sprompopt.MessageForAdding = "Select PLINE"
                   sprompopt.SingleOnly = True
                   sprompopt.RejectObjectsFromNonCurrentSpace = True

Select Case acSSPrompt.Status
                       Case PromptStatus.OK
                           PLINE = acSSPrompt.Value.Item(0).ObjectId                            
                       Case PromptStatus.Cancel
                           Exit Sub
                       Case Else
                           acDoc.Editor.WriteMessage(vbLf & "Selection Error - Try Again")
                           GoTo conduit
                   End Select

This would prompt to get the multileader

Dim MLEADER As ObjectID
                   'prompt options
                   sprompopt = New PromptSelectionOptions()
                   sprompopt.MessageForAdding = "Select MLEADER"
                   sprompopt.SingleOnly = True
                   sprompopt.RejectObjectsFromNonCurrentSpace = True

Select Case acSSPrompt.Status
                       Case PromptStatus.OK
                           MLEADER = acSSPrompt.Value.Item(0).ObjectId                            
                       Case PromptStatus.Cancel
                           Exit Sub
                       Case Else
                           acDoc.Editor.WriteMessage(vbLf & "Selection Error - Try Again")
                           GoTo conduit
                   End Select

Now that we have the ID of both we can start a trans action to make field for us. Please note this is just a quick example of a possible VB.net solution, and not an actual solution. if you would like a VB solution please send me a message and we can get more technical.

Edited by Gatekeeper101
update end

Its a great example using VB but first off let me say I am sorry as I let one of my work colleagues post this problem with my login, & he forgot to mention one small detail the office is currently & unfortunately using AutoCAD2013 LT so its a little bit tricker than his post first read, my apologies for that.

Any idea for something in LT !!

. . . . Any idea for something in LT !!

in LT if you type in "NETLOAD" does a dialog appear?

Sorry I dont know if LT supports it or not.

That's ok unless one has used it one wouldn't know but there's no VB or lisp in LT ... thanks again for reply most kind.

Do you have an example drawing you can share?

If you desire to make this a dynamic block, what is so hard about using a PLine and arrowhead with a field? Maybe I'm missing something in your request.

I have moved this to the AutoCAD LT forum for you.

Is the attached close to what you want?

Custom Stretch Arrow Dynamic block.dwg

. . . . Is the attached close to what you want? . . .

As I understand it they already have it working, but creating a field each and every time is time consuming, I believe they are asking for a macro that would do it for them speeding up the process exponentially. Unfortunately they are running the LT version, meaning these features are not available.

That's fine if your going in straight lines & running though walls :) thank you, we did that one but we need to be measuring a fire escape route from the inside of a building to outside so going from the centre of a room through doors right angels 45° turns, around corners up corridors etc because its a pline in a block you cannot insert & adjust using the vertex. Hence why we thought a multi-leader would be perfect & it would be if it only measured its length.

p.s. sorry forgot to place this in LT forum again my apologies.

Edited by KiLLiNG-TiME