Autocad slows down over a period

Detailkim

I run a fairly old computer (about 7yo), it was built especially for cad drafting2D and 3D Tekla), so is not too bad. I recently upgraded (?) to Windows 7 as XP is not going to be supported!!?

I use AutoCAD 2010LT. It runs pretty good at the start of a day but slows down after a few hours use, particularly when saving and exiting, and between model and paper space. I was really frustrated yesterday and shut the computer down and called it a day. Next boot up 2010LT performed good, for a while.

When I first put 2010 on the computer using XP, it was noticeably slower saving and exiting dwgs than 2007, so I stopped using 10 and kept using 07. After the upgrade, 07's license wasn't recognized so had to settle for 10 and get used to it. But these problems.......?

Any ideas?

Please post the full specs of your computer.

What kinds of file sizes are you working with?

Are you making use of xrefs?

What else is running in the background (ex. - antivirus program)?

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service pack 1

Computer: ACPI x86-based PC

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.2GHz

RAM 4.00 4GB (3.25GB usable)

32-bit Operating System

Graphics - Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Is this what you want? The computer runs Tekla16 fine, although having said that I did have to install the latest graphics driver to get it OK. Do you think it could be a driver issue?

Maybe 3 to 6 dwgs open at any one time going from 150KB to 500KB; Excel, about 88KB; Outlook (email). Prety basic stuff I thought, not big files.

No xrefs, no antivirus program (just windows)

The sneaky baskets, that simple!! I've downloaded and installed that, and I'll try that and see how I go today.

My systems tab in options doesn't give me a performance button like your illustration but I get the drift.

Thank you for your support and input.

Cheers

Oh right, sorry I forgot you are using LT, no 3D.

Hopefully the service pack might help you a bit,

it is always a good idea to keep up with them. :)

I've downloaded the service pack, still slows down. Clarify my thinking if I'm wrong but if the driver were at fault wouldn't it be slow from the beginning, not GETTING slower as the day progresses? Is there some gremlin in LT2010 that builds on itself until it sinks?

Clarify my thinking if I'm wrong but if the driver were at fault wouldn't it be slow from the beginning, not GETTING slower as the day progresses? Is there some gremlin in LT2010 that builds on itself until it sinks?

That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis.

Talk about the need to update drivers just made me think about service packs, standard operating procedure.

I have never used LT, sounds like you should plan on rebooting whenever you take a break,

as that seems to help you recover some speed.

I know that is not the help you were hoping for, don't know what else to suggest.

Well the fact that you are running a 32-bit system and you are maxed out on RAM doesn't help.

Try killing off the InfoCenter (a.k.a. - CommCenter) for starters.

Then temporarily disable your antivirus program and run nothing but the OS and AutoCAD (no Outlook, no Excel, no DonkeyKong). What happens?

I doubt it has anything to do with the printer but either turn it off or unplug the connection. At this point you want to be running as lean as possible.

Well, hoping I'm not too premature, but a Chuck Edwards on the Autodesk forum suggested, as you, the infocentre is now blocked. And I got rid of ACad LT10 and reinstalled it, with the upgrade again, and it seems to be FANTASTIC. I'm A HAPPY WEE CHAPPY. Thanks for all your efforts.