Added attributes to existing block appear invisible.

SAFeSTeR

I'm trying to add some attributes to an existing block using the block editor, but after I save and close it I cannot see any 'placeholders' despite adding a default value and the attributes work fine when I double click the block.

I've tried using the ATTSYNC and BATTMAN commands but nothing helps and there are no invisibilty states applied to either the attribute or block and all layers are switched on.

I just tried making a quick block from scratch and it seems to have the same affect, except the default value will show, but no 'placeholder' shown if left blank.

I swear with previous version I could see the tag when a value hadn't been applied, so is it that the version I now use (2012) does not have this feature or it's disabled?

Thanks in advance.

There aren't placeholders in a block, just default values, so that if you go in to edit the att, it will give you something in your dialogue box. I can't remember how previous versions handled this... but I know 2012 doesn't show them.

If you double click your block and the attributes are there, then you're doing everything right... but no, your default value won't show up when the block is inserted.

That is working how I would expect. I have never seen a "placeholder" for a blank attribute. This is the reason I don't favour title blocks with no graphical element to double click on. There may be a variable somewhere to change the behaviour but I don't know of it.

OK, thanks for your help. I just thought that the attribute tag would be visible if the value was blank (that's all I meant by placeholder) as a visual representation that attributes were present, guess I was wrong. Still, I would have expected the default value to show for the very same reason.

The default value should show, it may need the ATTSYNC command if you are adding attributes, but if you have put in a default value that should show up. Are you sure the property of the attribute isn't set to invisible.

I have just done a quick test here adding an ATTDEF with a default to an existing block.

My test showed that the default will only show on existing blocks when an ATTSYNC has been applied, although (obviously) any new instances will show the new attribute.