ACER Aspire V3-772G 17.3"

Bogbadbob658

I'm looking to get a laptop that going to run AutoCAD Architecture but I'm not up on specs.

I'm looking at an ACER Aspire V3-772G 17.3" which has the following spec,

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Processor (2.2 GHz, 3.2 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MBcache)

Operating system

Windows 8

Storage

1 TB GB HDD, 5400 rpm

RAM

16 GB DDR3 (16 GB maximum installable RAM)

Graphics card

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Graphics card memory

4 GB DDR3

Will it be any good? On the face of it, it looks a better spec than my desktop.

I'll bet your desktop hard drive does not spin at the glacial speed of 5400 rpm.

There isn't a laptop within your budget range that at least has a 16-32GB SSD for your programs coupled with a 500GB platter drive for your data?

What about this the Novatech Elite N1724 - 17"

It has the following spec,

Screen Resolution : 1920x1080

Description :17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Matte Screen

Processor Description : Intel i7 4700MQ Quad Core Processor

Clockspeed : 2.4 GHz

Manufacturer : Intel

Supports Virtualisation :Yes

No. of Cores : 4

Memory Description : 2 X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

Harddrive Description : Samsung M8 1TB 8MB Cache SATA

Hard Drive Description : 128GB MSATA Drive

Interface : SATA

Technology : MSATA

Optical Drives Description : 8x SATA DVD Writer

Formats : DVD-RW / CD-RW

Graphics Description : Nvidia Optimus GTX770M 3GB

What about this the Novatech Elite N1724 - 17"

It has the following spec,

Screen Resolution : 1920x1080

Description :17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Matte Screen

Processor Description : Intel i7 4700MQ Quad Core Processor

Clockspeed : 2.4 GHz

Manufacturer : Intel

Supports Virtualisation :Yes

No. of Cores : 4

Memory Description : 2 X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

Harddrive Description : Samsung M8 1TB 8MB Cache SATA

Hard Drive Description : 128GB MSATA Drive

Technology : MSATA

Optical Drives Description : 8x SATA DVD Writer

Formats : DVD-RW / CD-RW

Graphics Description : Nvidia Optimus GTX770M 3GB

This one. HD res gives you good real estate, plus it seems to come with an SSD I think.

I like the Acer better. The spec sheet on the Acer website says it has a 120gb ssd as well as the 1tb sata drive. Both have the same screen res, 1920x1080. The Novatech is a sweet unit but it looks like a brick to carry around. The Acer is 7.05 lbs while the Novatech is 8.6 lbs. Yeah a pound and a half more but it adds up if you carry anything else with you.

My Dell Inspiron is 6 lbs and it feels like lead when I take it about.

Anyway both will be great units. It all comes down to personal taste. Good luck :)

I like the Acer better. The spec sheet on the Acer website says it has a 120gb ssd as well as the 1tb sata drive. Both have the same screen res, 1920x1080. The Novatech is a sweet unit but it looks like a brick to carry around. The Acer is 7.05 lbs while the Novatech is 8.6 lbs. Yeah a pound and a half more but it adds up if you carry anything else with you.

My Dell Inspiron is 6 lbs and it feels like lead when I take it about.

Anyway both will be great units. It all comes down to personal taste. Good luck :)

Well with the added info, the Acer is looking much better now. In that case, flip a coin, both are good.

:)

I don't think the Acer I was looking at had a SSD. The Acer web site has at least 3 models with the same code. I was looking at one at PC world (uk). The price difference is quite considerable. The Acer is £760 against the Novatech at £1235.

I don't think the Acer I was looking at had a SSD. The Acer web site has at least 3 models with the same code. I was looking at one at PC world (uk). The price difference is quite considerable. The Acer is £760 against the Novatech at £1235.

Check to see how much you can get a 512 ssd for.

I looked up the ACER Aspire V3-772G-9460. It is $1,300 USD.

Unfortunately Acer doesn't do that that model or any other 17" with SSD in the uk. From what I can see there are two setups for SSD, either cache or boot. Can the SDD be added in the expansion slot and which setup should i be using? Obviously the boot option will give me a faster boot up time but the cache will be better at starting AutoCAD. Is it even possible to set up a laptop with a SSD as a boot drive in the expansion slot?

Well Bog, there are always the hybrid laptop drives. They have an SSD and a platter drive together in one unit. Dells use a 32gb mSATA SSD as a cache to help speed things along. As for adding one to this unit I have no idea as I am not sure about the specs.

A 256gb mSATA drive is going for around $400

A 256gb SSD SATA drive starts around $160 ;)

Unfortunately Acer doesn't do that that model or any other 17" with SSD in the uk. From what I can see there are two setups for SSD, either cache or boot. Can the SDD be added in the expansion slot and which setup should i be using? Obviously the boot option will give me a faster boot up time but the cache will be better at starting AutoCAD. Is it even possible to set up a laptop with a SSD as a boot drive in the expansion slot?

Is there an expansion area for hard drives?

If so use the supplied drive as storage and buy a SSD and reload your OS to the new SSD drive.

That way you can purchase that laptop and get the beneifit of the SSD.

I believe it would be worth the trouble to reinstall the OS.

Good Luck which ever path you decide.