Texturing a cylinder

manumzo

Hi everyone,

I 'm trying to make a can of coca-cola in autocad 2013 but i can't.

The texture never fit right on the model.

How can i apply the texture correctly to make the can.

thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• manumzo

• ReMark

• Cad64

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take a look at this tutorial: http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_3/3-13.htm

If you need more control over your UV mapping, I would take ReMark's advice and download Blender. It's free.

Successful texturing relies on the ability to accurately map UVW coordinates to the faces of your model. Autocad has never had this capability, unless it was added after 2011? That was the last version that I used. Autocad uses very simple mapping techniques such as box, planar, cylindrical, etc., as mentioned in the tutorial linked above.

You can export your Autocad model to .stl format and then import to Blender. Or you might try this script to import .dxf files. (I have not tried this myself): http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/DXF_Importer

Yes i did, as you can see on the screenshot. I tried several things. None is working.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I really don't see what.

Thanks again for you help ReMark.

Thanks cad64. I use 3dsmax usually to render objects but I haven't it in the company where I work. I only have Autocad 2013.

And I'm not trying to make a beautiful rendering, i just want to show a can properly labelled. I think it's not possible to make this simple object in Autocad, strange ...

I didn't watch the video, but I also recommend looking into the solidedit>imprint command to split faces. When I used to use AutoCAD that is how I would define areas of a part for images/textures.

No, you basically got the same results David Cohen did when he first applied the coconut milk label to his 3D can. Did you totally space on how he went about rectifying the problem?

No, you basically got the same results David Cohen did when he first applied the coconut milk label to his 3D can. Did you totally space on how he went about rectifying the problem?

In fact when he select "cylinder mapping" everything takes place just right. The label of the coconut milk fit perfectly to the can. For me it's the opposite, everything goes wrong...

There is not many parameters to rectify the problem but I'm sure there is a way to do it.

Sure they do.

Under Scaling there is Sample Size > Width and Height.

Under Repeat there is Horizontal and Vertical (the defaults for both are Tile).

Sure they do.

Under Scaling there is Sample Size > Width and Height.

Under Repeat there is Horizontal and Vertical (the defaults for both are Tile).

I tried all the possibilities ...