Rotating Arbitrary Angle To an Ortho

OrangeFu

So! Here's the question I pose to you... Is there a quick way of achieving the following:

AFT780x.png

You have an object rotated at an arbitrary angle

You want to rotate it back to a 90 degree line by snapping it.

I can do this by measuring the arbitrary angle and then rotating it manually based on my measurement. But surely somebody knows a clever way around snapping it back to an ortho angle! There's always a lazier way.

EDIT: I can't repeat the success I had with this suggestion without erasing the original rectangle and starting over. I don't know what is up with that. Ignore me for now, please.

If the reference line is exactly vertical, it's even easier than that. Turn on polar tracking, Make sure object snaps is on. Select object, comand rotate, select lower right corner as base point. Now start swinging the rectangle around. It should snap to the vertical line.

Polar tracking and object snaps should be toggle buttons on the lower frame of the drawing window. Of course you probably already have object snap on, otherwise you can't guarantee an accurate rotation base point, right.

Edited by Dana W

If you have Ortho on, then with the Reference option it will align. There is no need to measure the angle.

I just tried this one. With ortho mode on, it will not allow me any options other than rotation angle. Barring an angle, I can only rotate the object in 90 deg increments relative to its original position.

You are not using the command in the proper fashion. You first of all, using Osnaps, define the original reference line, then the required alignment is automatic with Ortho on.

Are we throwing out multiple options because I have one that does not have the word rotation associated with it. Use the ALIGN command. When AutoCAD prompts, Scale objects based on alignment points? [Yes/No] : you want to accept the default "No".

Rotate > Reference using Polar (or Ortho) is how I would do it, although after setting the Reference angle, you could also just enter the new angle (ie 90)

Untitled.gif

You are not using the command in the proper fashion. You first of all, using Osnaps, define the original reference line, then the required alignment is automatic with Ortho on.
I see, Ortho must be OFF before starting the Rotate command, then I have to wait until I have entered the "R" option, then select the original angle, then turn on Ortho, then complete the rotation. I completed it by using "Points". Got it to work, but it is a little bit inconvenient. You take what you can get, I guess.

No wonder I have avoided that for 10 years or so..:D Truth is, the need only occurs about once every leap year for me, so apparently I have not learned its use sufficiently.

Since in Drafting settings, I keep my Polar Angle Measurement set to Relative To Last Segment, I usually just rely on either a quick angle calc or an angular dimension and simply enter my rotation angle.

What worries me is, I can't repeat the success I had with my first posted suggestion without erasing the original rectangle and starting over. I don't know what is up with that. It works the first time, and that is it. It could be conflicting with my Relative to Last segment option being set.

Are we throwing out multiple options because I have one that does not have the word rotation associated with it. Use the ALIGN command. When AutoCAD prompts, Scale objects based on alignment points? [Yes/No] : you want to accept the default "No".
Unfortunately I will not be able to give you a forehead slapping moment, like I have eldon.;) Unlike the OP, I have the LT version, which apparently does not come with the Align command. I'll just have to trust you.

Ortho can be on, as long as you define the initial angle using Osnaps.
Yep. Got it to work. Also, with ortho on, one has to be careful about the order in which the snaps on the original angle line are selected. If I select the basepoint as the first point, then the top end of that same line as the second point, it works fine. If these same points are selected in the opposite order, the rectangle rotates to 180 instead of 90.

• 3 weeks later...
Rotate > Reference using Polar (or Ortho) is how I would do it, although after setting the Reference angle, you could also just enter the new angle (ie 90)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45705[/ATTACH]

Wow thank you! I learned something new today :)

The .GIF is super helpful.