AutoCAD Pausing

tennis4you

The last few days when I open or close AutoCAD it is locking up for about 30-40 seconds. Once I have it open and I am moving between files I am fine.

When I do open AutoCAD, it is either with just the AutoCAD icon or maybe through various fils.

Any reason for the pause?

Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennis4you

• ReMark

• rkmcswain

• Dana W

I tried using that program. It downloaded OK, I got through the steps to fire open AutoCAD and watch the info flow, but nothing happened. ;(

Sorry for the lack of information.

AutoCAD opened. I tried it a few times. Sometimes it froze, sometimes AutoCAD opened without freezing. The program itself did nothing. From what I was reading it should have started to generate a list but no list ever appeared.

Sorry for the lack of information.

From what I was reading it should have started to generate a list but no list ever appeared.

If by "the program", you mean "Process Monitor", make sure the buttons shown here are "active" (or enabled/turned on)

pm.png

Interesting. I am the same exact setup, OS Win7 Ultimate. I have tried it a few times and nothing ever happens. The setup portion went well, I believe I followed the instructions, I just cannot get it to do anything when AutoCAD opens.

It happens a lot when I first open a file or close a file. Typically once I am in AutoCAD things go smooth.

For example, I just opened a new file. Clicked on on of the layout spaces and it locked up for 25 seconds. New files have no xrefs in them.

Thanks!

Edited by tennis4you

acadlt.exe worked. I see the mega list, I even got AutoCAD to freeze up on me, but I did not see anything in the list that the Process Monitor found to be broken (like a missing path or something).

Running out the door. Will try again this afternoon. At least I have the program working now. ;)

OK, I have run the program and looked at the results, but I am not sure where to take it from here.

I have several "Results" that say "Name Not Found" instead of "Success". Are those the issue? There are various ones. There were other ones that said "File Locked with Only Readers" as well.

Thank you,

Are you working on a network? Do you have xrefs in your drawing that are not where their original path says they are? If you have xrefs in your drawing, are other people working on those drawings?

I do work off of a server, but the xrefs are where they say they are. The server sits in my house and I have one other person that works here with me. There are a few people who work remote for me, but I am in files they have never touched.

You said it happens most often when opening or closing a file. You may just be waiting for access to the network. Your server may be a little light or under maintained for the stress you all are giving it. Have you tried copying one of the files to your "C" drive to test it for pausing behavior there?

When opening AutoCAD it is not accessing the server, it is just opening a new file that has not yet been saved to the server. Only 2 people use the server so my hunch is the server is not being overloaded, plus we all have smaller files. I will copy some files to the C Drive and test it though.

Still would be interested to know what I can do with all the information the Process Monitor pumped out.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do with the information Process Monitor is giving me? It's a ton of information and I am not sure how to process it all. AutoCAD is still locking up on me and is chewing up a good portion of time.