Objects missing in paper space tabs

BudRPerry

We have recently upgraded to 2014. Some of our plans created in 2011, when opened in 2014 have most of the objects missing in the paperspace tabs. This includes lines, polylines, blocks, ole objects, jpgs, and plain text. These are not xref'd items. A few members of our staff have LT 2014 and have opened these same drawings with the same error. We can recover using 2011, but if we recover the drawings in 2014 it won't allow us to save!

Been searching the forums and net but can't find this exact problem. It's very frustrating!

It does not make sense that you can open them in 2011 and everything is fine and not in 2014 for all those types of objects. A repair to the installation or even a reinstall may be in order. Be aware that there is a specific procedure recommended by AutoDesk for uninstalling before reinstalling.

I would blame it on the install, but we have about 30 seats using AutoCad and 13 using LT. Different installs at different times. We are running Windows 7 on a variety of Dell laptops and PCs (all purchased within 2012-2013). The only common thread I've found with the project is that someone working on LT has saved it and then someone with Acad 2014 has opened it afterward. Doesn't seem to occur the opposite direction. For now we've reverted back to using our old 2011 versions of both LT and full, but it seems a huge expensive waste if we can't use the new versions. There is no actual "error" given by AutoCad either, just missing stuff and then can't save if recovered.

I suggest that you attempt a REPAIR on at least one of the computers that is experiencing the problem. A REPAIR is not the same as a UNINSTALL/REINSTALL. Report back with the results.

A REPAIR is not the same as a UNINSTALL/REINSTALL.

Right....a repair is a subset of a reinstall, correct?

AFAIK....

a repair compares what it finds for your install VERSUS what should be there and makes corrections as needed (to files, registry, etc)

a reinstall just blindly overwrites the entire install with a new install.

We have recently upgraded to 2014. Some of our plans created in 2011, when opened in 2014 have most of the objects missing in the paperspace tabs.

Can you post a sample drawing here so someone else with 2014 can take a look?

Maybe include a screenshot of what it looks like in 2011....

The errors haven't happened with a "start from scratch" 2014 drawing, they've all been with files created in earlier versions. I will try the repair once my IT guy is back from the holidays. The attachments show a before and after version. In the after version only parts of the drawing are missing including the jpg logo, some regular text, the vport, etc.2014-version-plan.jpg

2011-version-plan.jpg

Oh yes, that was my first inclination, however if one purges and/or audits the drawing in 2014, the drawing file is impossible to save. The audits come up with a few errors fixed, but it's random and never the same twice. It doesn't actually put the objects back either.

We always purge the drawings, even 2011 version. I don't know if I have audited the drawings in 2011 though. I will try that to see if I get anything different. Now that we're working exclusively in 2011 we haven't had the problem again, so I'm not able to try out a lot of tests.

Thanks.

When you purge do you purge Regapps first then follow this up with a purge > all?

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of one of these 2011 drawings to your next post so someone here can take a look at it that is using AutoCAD 2014? Let's see if they experience the same odd behavior as you.

I don't know what Regapps is...it's not an option when I purge, nor a known command. I generally always purge all. Right now I am trying to duplicate the problem we were having (I have to figure it out so we can move back to 2014). I've opened one of the problem files but haven't had any luck recreating the error. I'll post a copy of the dwg when I can make it happen.

You don't see the option because you are using a slightly different way of accessing the Purge command. To see Regapps use the command line version like this (with the dash):

-purge

Then press Enter. Now look at your command line. See Regapps? Purge those first then do a Purge > All.

When an error is not reproducible or is random it tends to be more difficult to solve.

Edited by ReMark