Problems opening drawings

Sid0201

Working on AutoCAD 2010 LT, each time I try to open a new drawing it opens in a new window whereas it used to open in the original window, not sure what I've done to make it do this. I used the search bar on here I found a post which said I should type the command 'SDI' and change to '0' however I've done this and it hasn't rectified the problem, any ideas gents? (and Ladies of course)

Thanks,

Sid

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sid0201

• dbroada

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can try this.

Exit AutoCAD.

Using Explorer find the folder you store your drawings in and right click on one of them. Then go down to Open with and select AutoCAD DWG Launcher.

Start AutoCAD. Open your first drawing. Then go ahead and try opening a second drawing.

What happens?

dave, I disagree with you.

Type: whole

Saved: system database

Started value: 0

It regulates that program runs with one or more interfaces.

0 – Turn on multidocument interface.

1 – Turn off multidocument interface.

2 – (Read only) Multidocument interface was denied because such an application was downloaded which did not support multidocument interface. Two values of SDI variable are not saved.

3 - (Read only) Multidocument interface was denied because user changed SDI variable to 1 and downloaded such an application which did not support multidocument interface. (SDI variable was changed to 1 before downloading.) Value 3 of SDI variable is not saved.

If SDI value is changed to 3, it will be changed to 1, when application which does not support other drawings is deleted from memory.

dave, I disagree with you.

Type: whole

Saved: system database

Started value: 0

It regulates that program runs with one or more interfaces.

0 – Turn on multidocument interface.

1 – Turn off multidocument interface.

and I disagree with you. 8)

SDI = Single Document Interface

MDI = Multi Document Interface

so to open a single document you need SDI set (=1), that is MDI is off.

and to open multiple documents SDI is set to off (=0), that is MDI is on

Dave you are misinformed.

I have five versions of AutoCAD (2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2014) on my computer all with SDI set to 0 and they open multiple drawings in a single session.

I opened the first drawing using right click then open with DWG Launcher, it was the second drawing I tried to open by double clicking in explorer, was I supposed to open that one using the right click again?

Oh and in response to your other question the OS I'm using in Windows 7

No, I wanted you to go up to the top of your AutoCAD screen, and in the upper left hand corner, find and click on the Open icon. You are already in AutoCAD. Why would you leave it to find and open a drawing using a different method? That would not be very efficient.

Dave you are misinformed.

I have five versions of AutoCAD (2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2014) on my computer all with SDI set to 0 and they open multiple drawings in a single session.

OK, a terminology diversity.

To me, multiple windows are windows within AutoCAD. Therefore more than one drawing open in one session is multiple windows or MDI.

That works and opens the second drawing in the same window but its when I try to open the second one through explorer that I have the issue... Because of the way the drawings I work with are sent to us some are PDF and some are DWG so if I go looking for a relevant drawing its easier to look in explorer because PDFs don't show when you use the open command in AutoCAD.

Could it be you were mucking about with no real sense of what you were doing and changed something outside of AutoCAD? I don't think there is anything you could have done inside AutoCAD to make this happen.

You can use PDFATTACH to view a PDF inside AutoCAD. You do know that, right?

I haven't made any changes to the computer for a while, the only thing that has been done recently was installing new anti-virus software, I'll just have to speak to the IT guy when hes next over in this office and see if its a windows problem. Thanks for the help though!

Yes I use that however if I'm not sure what file type the drawing is then just using the open command means I wont find it if its a PDF.

You really know how to dampen the Christmas spirit.

I do know of a way to fix the problem but although it worked in XP I don't know if it would work in Win7. I'll have to research it. First though I should test my system and see how it works for comparison. Hold on a moment, I'll be back.

OK, test completed. So I closed AutoCAD and went to Explorer. I double clicked on a DWG file and AutoCAD opened. I minimized AutoCAD, went back to Explorer, double clicked on a second DWG file. It opened. Guess how many sessions of AutoCAD I had running? Come on...guess. OK, I'll give you a hint. The number is between 0 and 2. I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.

AutoCAD 2010 Properties.JPG

OK. Find your desktop icon for AutoCAD LT 2010, right-click on it and select Properties.

What do you have showing for Target, Start in, and Comment?

OK.....shut your computer down entirely. Wait 20 seconds then start it back up. Using Explorer find a DWG file and double click on it to open AutoCAD. Minimize AutoCAD, use Explorer to find a second DWG file and double click on it. What happens?

I thought what I might be looking for could be found under Folder Options (Start > Control Panel > Folder Options) but Win7 is not set up the same way as XP. Gadz! Why did they (MS) change it? Makes me mad.

Edited by ReMark