labelling "structure pipe outlines"

idiggplants

i have my structure pipe outlines displayed. so when a structure has multiple incoming pipes, they are displayed as ellipses. my question is, is there a way to label them? the engineer wants them labeled with length, diameter, material and slope. same as the pipes in the profiles. i know i could have them in the main structure label, but she wants them to have them as labels with them pointing straight to the ellipse(s). which does seem to be the norm for most plans that ive seen.

thanks!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idiggplants

• ReMark

• Tiger

• Tuns

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no, i mean structure-pipe. its what they are called in the pipe style dialogue box, under the display tab, under "profile" view direction. "structure pipe outlines"

basically it shows an elipse for all the pipes coming into the structure.

found a pic, dunno if i can share it yet:

http://civil3dpedia.com/files/2009/08/image1.png

if not, google image search "structure pipe outlines civil3d"

Well, I'm not sure what the standard is over there, but if we label something like that here it would look like

3"∅ X 5'-0"

STEEL STRUCTURAL PIPE

W/ 1/4" SLOPE

Of course that is only an example because I don't know the actual dimensions. That should be how it should look I would think. You may need to leave off the slope part of that label and put it above the pipe itself and also put an arrow to show which direction it slopes like in the picture below.

Slope Ex..jpg

I'd label the structure pipe outline with the invert elevation and size/material of pipe. Ex. - El.=123.45 (15" RCP) That's all it needs. The remainder of the information is shown elsewhere thus it does not have to be repeated. That's the way it was done where I worked and I drew (manually) hundreds of plan/profile sheets in my day. Putting in the extra info is a waste of time and money (as in profit). And if a change is made it has to be done in more than one place which means it could be overlooked then you are left with inconsistent information.

Edited by ReMark

what im saying is that i can get the ellipse to show up. i have the structure labeled with in and out inverts and rim elevation. i want to put a label on the pipe invert. civil 3d will not allow me to do that.

ohh shoot. just realized that i didnt specify that this was a question specific to civil3d.

For once Civil 3D is preventing you from doing what really doesn't need to be done.

ill just forward the info on to the reviewing engineer. im sure she will just say, ok! ReMark said you dont need it.

in theory, not having duplicate information is great. but in the real world, sometimes its required.

thanks anyways. first experience on this forum has been real great.

Who does it benefit? Certainly not the contractor.

What if the manhole as four inverts. How do expect to fit all that information in there?

Edited by ReMark

im not asking for theory on whether or not its necessary. im being asked to provide it. if i have to do it with multileaders, ill do it with multileaders.

ive seen quite a few plans with 4 lines of connecting pipe info. not just from my company, or a couple companies. its not that uncommon. thus i must imagine its pretty commonly required. should it be? i dont care. i need to show it.

im asking if it is possible to do through civil3d. so everything is dynamic. so no, i havent provided my own answer. obviously i know i can put them on there with mtext, or mleaders. i could also hand write it on all the sheets after it comes out.

hopefully others on the forum arent as smug and condescending as you, otherwise ill be searching for a more friendly forum. thanks for your help.

Did you ask over at the AutoDesk Discussion Group for Civil 3D users? Surely someone there would have an immediate and definitive answer for you. Shouldn't take more than five minutes. Do you need me to prove a link?

Here...I'm feeling less smug and more generous.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/ct-p/66

Since as you say you've seen this type of information provided by many companies surely you are not the first to ask how it can be done in Civil.

What's your search criteria? Would it be "dynamic pipe label"?

Look at this thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/How-To-Create-Dynamic-Pipe-Labels-for-Crossing-Pipe-Stations-and/m-p/2756283/highlight/true#M136307

Or maybe this one.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Stormwater/pipe-invert-labels-in-profile-solution/m-p/3732110/highlight/true#M2817

Structure invert labels. See castled071049 post.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/structure-invert-labels/m-p/2957328/highlight/true#M148435

How good are you at writing structure/pipe label expressions? Here's a link about writing expressions that might help.

http://www.civil4d.com/2007/12/expressions-and-x-y-offsets-in-labels/

Last one and it is about Label Styles and how to create your own.

http://ontariocivil3d.blogspot.com/2011/02/civil-3d-label-styles-using-expressions.html

Good luck. Hope you get your problem solved so your boss will say nice things about you.

Edited by ReMark

Shouldn't be that hard to create a label with that information, all the information is there on the pipe, it's just a matter of accessing it. If you're still here and interested, can you send me an example of your file?

And no, ReMark is not the standard of this forum. Sorry that your first run-in was with him.

Update:

Something like this?

2013-12-20 10-57-27.png

Edited by Tiger

Length, diameter, material and slope is what the OP wants to show. I guess this would be in addition to the standard invert information as well. I provided several links that address this from multiple perspectives. If he doesn't want to use expressions, or non-dynamic multileaders what other options are available?

The Settings tab, under Pipe and/or Structure and Label Style. THere you can acess the label styles that you have in your drawing. Double click on one of them, on the Layout-tab you find a Contents-row. Click the three dots and you can decide what info you want to show.

It's a bit trial and error after that, at least for me to get the right info displayed.