Bending conduit?

yrnomad

I have a section of a building that transitions by 15 degrees. Is there a way to bend the conduit (like they will in the field), or do I have to find a 15 degree EMT fitting?

:unsure:

Fittings will bend at any angle automatically up to 90 degrees. Can you not do this? What seems to be your issue when you try? Do you have your conduit types defined for the System Families?

First off, I am new to REVIT, I've had one MEP class, and have been poking around on a field coordination project.

I've got (2) 4" conduits (EMT with fittings) running in a stack. Earlier (before the post) I had tried to break the single conduit run, rotate the final section to match the angle change, and then join the conduits back together using the Trim/Extend. I get and error "no auto-route solution was found"

This morning after your email I was able to do the top one, but not the bottom.

So this problem is shown in the attachement "conduit adjustment 1.png", the second problem I have is trying to jog from two parallel/horizontal conduits to two parallel/vertical conduits. This is in the lower right corner "conduit adjustment 1 and 2.png"

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

conduit adjustment 1.PNG

conduit adjustment 1 and 2.jpg

Revit can be quirky at first. You just have to understand "how" Revit wants you to do things. Routing Conduit is actually the easiest of all the Families that "route" (duct, pipe, etc). The thing about Revit is this.... Revit is like a married woman... when something's wrong, Revit won't tell you what's wrong and surely will not tell you how to fix it. You just have to "figure it out" on your own.

In the Project Browser, scroll down to Families > Conduits. You'll notice you have two System Families: "Conduits with Fittings" and "Conduits without Fittings". Duplicate the default, name it accordingly and apply all the default settings that suits your needs. Make sure all the Fittings are loaded that you need, from the default content install directory.

Once you have that set up, you're all set. Initiate the Conduit tool, and in the Properties palette you can select the Conduit Type(s) and begin routing. Below is a screen capture of me routing simple conduit runs, successfully making 15 degree fittings flow easily.

http://screencast.com/t/CQ7oremTf

Also notice how Revit responds when I do things it doesn't "like". Furthermore, I've found it much easier to route a single conduit, then use the Parallel Conduits tool to create simultaneous runs (use the Tab key to expand the duplication from the single segment to the entire run). Sometimes you have to do this in segments, and reconnect bends later - it's a learning process but you'll get the hang of it. And use the Nudge tool when you can (arrow keys, or Shift+arrow keys). It will make your life much easier in the end when coordinating with yourself, or other trades.

Hope this helps! :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Tannar. Your video is exactly what I need to do. Can you please explain to me your second paragraph "In the Project Browser, scroll down to Families > Conduits. You'll notice you have two System Families: "Conduits with Fittings" and "Conduits without Fittings". Duplicate the default, name it accordingly and apply all the default settings that suits your needs. Make sure all the Fittings are loaded that you need, from the default content install directory."

How do I duplicate the default and apply settings to be able to route and bend conduit like you showed in your video? Also, what is the default content and install directory? I have never had to do this since all families I have ever created have been unique to suite the needs of the project I am working on.

Thank you.