• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckyfonts

• dbroada

• sentinel

• CarlB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A tolerance, such as +/- 3, is part of the dimension of a particular item, showing the allowed variation from the given dimension in the manufacture/construction of an item. So a dimension of 150 +/- 3 would mean an acceptable constructed dimension is 147 to 153.

Just to expand on what CarlB said. Tolerances are mainly used in engineering and in AutoCad can be entered as symmetrical which would be as Carl explained with the same variation from the nominal (correct) size above and below, Deviation which may be unequal above or below the nominal, or Limits which would show the high limit and the low limit but not the nominal size.

Dave

• 3 years later...

how to set the lower limit only witout any upper limit? For example, the dimension is 350 mm and you want to set a lower limit of -2, how should that be done? sorry this may sound so basic but i need help

you do have an upper limit, it is 0.

as Ako said above you either have deviation of +0/-2 or limits of 348/350.

I ALWAYS prefer limits rather than deviation as you are not relying on somebody else doing the sums. One less thing to go wrong.

Thanks Dave... I will do as you have suggested and let you know after being able to do it... by the way, will the ± not appear in this case and only -2 mm (deviation for below value) instead?

hello dave i tried to make dimension and it is suppose to be 1 digit after the decimal point because i already set it. but it doesnt follow ex i only want it 45.5 not 45. 54 is ist possible that i can make it only 5.5

oh sorry dave

i tried to make dimension and it is suppose to be 1 digit after the decimal point because i already set it. but it doesnt follow ex i only want it 45.5 not 45. 54 is ist possible that i can make it only 4.5 only

what i need to do is make a dimension of 45.5 only so i made the setting to one-digit decimal point. However, when I try to do it, it does't follow. Instead, what comes out is 45.54..hat shoul I do?

sorry, typo error.. it should be,

"what i need to do is make a dimension of 45.5 only so i made the setting to one-digit decimal point. However, when I try to do it, it does't follow. Instead, what comes out is 45.54, what should I do?

set PRECISION to 0.0 as in the screen shots above.

you may need several dim styles so that different dimensions can have alternative settings. Once your styles are set up you can use the properties palette to apply the appropriate style to each dimension.

Thanks Dave. I already set the Precision to 0.0 but still what comes out is a double decimal digit. What else can be wrong? I am so confused now, how come the computer does not follow. Was there a setting made earlier since this is a modified drawing ... drawn by someone else and I am asked to modify it.

Sorry for this barrage of questions, but would really appreciate your help. I am new.

Thanks a lot Dave for all the advices. Finally, 'did the limit and it's okay now.

It helped to know that there is a forum avaialble where you can ask and be able to get immediate feedback.

More power to this forum.

the speed of reply does depend on who is around at the time and how well phrased the question has been. It is a mutual self help group and is only as good as its members - which is normally pretty outstanding. :D