assign keyboards to special character(fraction)

caddy888

how do you assign the keyboards a special characters?

say ~q=1/16, ~w=1/8, ~e=3/16, ~r=1/4, and so on ...

(two characters equal fraction)

Keyboard shortcuts can be assigned by editing the CUIx. This can be accessed directly off the Ribbon. Unfortunately I am not on my CAD computer at the moment so I cannot tell you the tab or panel. Maybe another forum member can provide you with the information. When I switch computers I'll check this thread. If no one has replied I'll tell you where to look.

Addendum.

The CUI Editor can be found on the Manage tab > Customization panel. It is labeled CUI - User Interface.

Regarding the use of the tilde I don't think AutoCAD allows it. I believe the user is given the choice of using the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys followed by the plus sign and a letter or number. You might want to consult the User's Guide or Customization Guide for further details.

One other option might be the use of key mapping software but I am not fully knowledgeable about its use to advise you. Sorry.

Edited by ReMark

Regarding the use of the tilde I don't think AutoCAD allows it.

[/i]

This may be of little consequence, but I use the tilde in a command alias for PSPACE, I hit the tilde twice (as that is where my hand rests) and ENTER to return to Paperspace.

So I take that to mean that the use of the tilde is potentially okay. :)

Edited by Dadgad

I'm not so sure I would agree as a keyboard shortcut is not entirely the same as a macro. Mind testing it for us?

I wonder if the could be used as part of a command alias or are we stuck with just the dash symbol?

I'm not so sure I would agree as a keyboard shortcut is not entirely the same as a macro. Mind testing it for us?

I wonder if the could be used as part of a command alias or are we stuck with just the dash symbol?

Yes it can be used in a command alias, which is a better way to describe what I did for the PSPACE command,

it can be done of course in Vanilla through use of the ALIASEDITOR, which as an Express Tool is I believe unavailable in LT.

I suspect that your thoughts about KEYMAPPING are an appropriate route for the OP.

Ever read Kate Morrical's "LT UnLimited"? She shows an image of the Manage tab > Customization panel with a PGP icon labeled "Edit Aliases". Now there is no reference specifically to LT showing so I don't know for sure if this is how the acad.pgp file can be edited from within LT or not. I'll see if I can pin down that information.

Addendum

I did learn one new thing it is called acadlt.pgp in AutoCAD LT not acad.pgp. So I'm guessing that what Kate posted at LT UnLimited is not in reference to LT.

I did learn one new thing it is called acadlt.pgp in AutoCAD LT not acad.pgp. So I'm guessing that what Kate posted at LT UnLimited is not in reference to LT.

That is one place to find it in LT (the ribbon) you can also find it under Menu - Tools - Cutomize - Edit Program Parameters (acadlt.pgp), and don't forget the Reinit command after making alterations, which strangely enough doesn't appear in either the ribbon or menu and has to be typed at the command line.

I used a key remapper when one of the keys played up on my laptop and it was easy to use I would aim at using the F keys F9 F10 etc only drawback is they are remapped till you say to stop, external to Autocad excel etc. You could create a tool bar menu that just has the desired text it should work in the middle of a command, again an old one you can pop the side bar menu it definately allows for string input like 3/16. I will have a play.

Just use menuload works in some commands like DIM

***MENUGROUP=ALANSinch
***TOOLBARS
**ALANinch
ID_TbModify  [_Toolbar("Alans", _Right, _Show, 0, 0, 1)]
AECC_ShowTS  [_Button("Show Toolspace", RCDATA_16_IMAGE, RCDATA_16_IMAGE)]"1/8"
ID_Matchprop [_Button("Match Properties", RCDATA_16_MATCH, RCDATA_16_MATCH)]"3/16"
MM_1608      [_Button("Circle", RCDATA_16_CIRRAD,RCDATA_32_CIRRAD)]"3/8"