switch to inventor

gort ben

I am switching over to Inventor 2010 from autocad ,how do you create a multiple parts file to use the combine command.I know it's probably simple but can't find it. Thanks.

What are you trying to copy, precisely? You may want to be using an .iam and be placing .ipt's into it.

I don't know if you know this, but AutoCAD and Inventor are two different animals. They both serve a purpose in their own right, however, and as such, Autodesk has facilitated interoperability between the two platforms.

The primary difference is the 'parametric 3d environment' that you will experience with inventor. You create things as individual pieces (.ipt filetype), many pieces assembled and working together ( .iam filetype), drawings (.idw) and "presentations" (.ipn).

Hmmmm, I know you can copy objects within a sketch, but when it comes to copying solid objects within an .ipt, that is not something that's usually done (for me anyway). What i was trying to say earlier, is that, if you want two of something, make it in an ipt, then make a new iam and insert two of the items into it.

As far as copying features of a solid within an ipt, you can use a variety of methods......project geometry, copy sketches, etc...

Good luck

Like i said, Inventor takes alot of getting used to if you are coming from AutoCAD. It behaves very differently. At first it seems frustrating and illogical, but if you practice, it will make sense.

Attach your ipt file here and explain why you are trying to copy (it can very easily be done, but might not be the best Inventor way).

Have you gone through all the tutorials?

Yes I have gone through the tutorials, and done more searching and you're right , inventor is completely different, I am still in the autocad mode. So I guess keep practicing as I have been adviced that as a furniture designer Inventor is the better option. A lot of my designs and concepts are pure geometry and cad has given me new ideas I wouldn't have come with otherwise which is why I am keen to pursue this. Thanks for the advice and check out my website http://www.bengabriel.com.

Gort ben,

I'm no expert. Not by a long shot. But...

I've been using AutoCAD for a little over 2 years, learning it, doing personal design stuff and it was a big paradigm shift from what I was doing in CorelDraw (trying to do technical drawings) but it was worth the headaches learning it.

But...I wanted to do more so I started messing with Inventor. Again, a big paradigm shift.

The book along with its examples, Mastering Inventor 2012, have been helpful.

You can read through a thread I started here, http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?83461-Seemingly-simple-constraints-in-an-assembly-being-impossible-to-implement and see where I started trying to use AutoCAD as my foundation for a design and how JD showed me a simpler way to get the job done which actually worked (my AutoCAD ways didn't work worth a flip in Inventor).

JD has been a great help and very pleasant. Give him the files he asks for.

Get a 3D mouse. I got a Connexion 3D SpaceNavigator (about 90 bucks on Amazon after sales tax (argh)). Very helpful.

It's been a lot of frustrating hours learning the program but, as I go along, I get better and it gets easier, and I can draw things one time and plan my designs faster and easier than I could in 2D. I think the effort is worth it. But it is a huge (to me) paradigm shift from my 2D drawings in AutoCAD.

FWIW.

--HC

Hi me again, learning a lot and a lot to learn. I'm trying to do a sketch in assembly and don't seem to be able to snap on to existing objects which are half visible. And the color tab on the quick access bar shows nothing not sure whether that is the software, any ideas appreciated. Thanks

... snap on to existing objects

Project Geometry

which are half visible.

Tools>Application Options>Assembly tab controls this (Opacity of active or all parts) but I recommend you leave it on default.

Thanks for that tip JD, and I've since discovered that the new styles file is missing on the program and found it on the computer local disc but can't get it to work in the program, excuse my ignorance and appreciate any pointers. Thanks.