Changing Linetype

Evelynn

Hello all,

I'm brand new here, and very new to AutoCAD. I used it in college, but now I'm using LT 2014, and I'm trying to familiarize myself with it.

I'm trying to change my linetype from solid to hidden, and I've checked the properties, changed the linetype on my toolbar above, ensured the scale is set to 1, and zoomed in to make sure the scale is correct. I've unlocked all the layers, and checked all my different spaces to see if maybe there was a glitch that just wasn't showing the change in linetype. Nothing!

The properties for my linetype show me that the line is a dotted (hidden) line, but the line itself doesn't show as hidden.

I need help ASAP!

Thank you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Evelynn

• ReMark

• Dana W

• Tuns

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you have the line selected when you made any of these changes? What layer is the line on? What line type is assigned to the layer? What is the line type showing on the properties box for the line when the line is selected?

Sometimes, depending on how close to the line you are zoomed in, the line type scale will prevent you from seeing the individual dashes in a hidden line until you are zoomed in at an extreme close-up. For instance, a line 10 feet (three meters) long may not have discernible dashes until you zoom in so close that a few inches of it are visible on the screen.

Can you post a drawing so we can see how you are set up? If so, Save As..(another name) back to version 2007 so more of us (like me) can open the drawing.

I'll post a drawing. Warning: It's pretty bad. I kind of got thrown into this at work, and my plan was to refamiliarize myself with this slowly, but deadlines have forced me to jump in. I have very few discernable layers, and everything i've drawn has basically been on Bylayer, because I did almost nothing to set up my drawing. I'm in model space. What I want to do, is set up my layers so that I can just put all my hidden lines on a "Hidden" layer, but I can't even remember how I used to do that.

Canada. Are you using a metric or imperial drawing template?

What OS are you running?

To attach an image file (jpg or png) or a drawing file (dwg) to a post here the first step is to click on the Go Advanced button below the lower right hand corner of the Reply box.

The only thing I'll be doing with these drawings is printing them out (orthographic) in paper space, and shipping them with the products. Possibly posting a digital copy on a website at some point.

To do so will require the use of at least one viewport.

What OS are you running? Windows XP, 7, 8 or other?

What is your global linetype scale (LTSCALE) set to?

Can you give us a sense of the overall size of the object you are drawing?

Including attachments with posts: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

Stop. Windows 7 comes with an accessory feature called the Snipping Tool. It should be on your Start menu. Use that instead of Print Screen. The Snipping Tool allows the user to the save the image file anywhere on their Desktop or on their hard drive.

Or...you can attach a copy of your drawing file to a subsequent post. I provided a link in a previous post that walks you through the process.

Of the two (image or drawing) a DWG file would be better.

CADTutorDisclaimer.JPG

Unfortunately although the problem is evident an image file cannot be scrutinized like a drawing file.

What is the overall length and width of the object you have drawn?

Ah, sorry. I'm not able to upload a dwg file. Not my rules :/

13 x 22.5 are the dimensions for that part. The dimensions are posted on that front view up top.

If you'd like, I can snip some close ups of any areas of interest.

I understand.

I would expect both HIDDEN and HIDDEN2 linetypes to be quite visible given the overall dimensions.

What is the system variable MSLTSCALE set to?

Alright, Here is the new dwg.

So, If I load a linetype (ie. Hidden), and click the "current" button, it makes that linetype active, and everything I draw in that LT will be Hidden (until I make a different LT active)?

The line in the upper left of that dwg is a remaining hidden line from my old dwg, which still shows as a solid line. This may be important: When I drew that line, I didn't draw it with a HIDDEN line; I drew it with the first dotted line I came across (I've included another screenshot of a close up). I still couldn't seem to be able to change the LT of that original line, to "hidden" though.

Capture.jpg

line.JPG

Edited by Evelynn