Line Weights!!!

minimeg

Hi everyone,

I need some help with changing the line weights.

I was given an AutoCAD 2009 file that already had the drawing created. In the Model space, the drawing has been created on Layer 0. Some of the other lines have a different layer - but most of it is created on Layer 0.

My manager has asked me to simply make some of the lines bold and leave the rest as is.

When I turn on the LWT button at the bottom of my program, the line weight is extremely bold (shows "By Layer" for the line weight). I have gone back to each layer to select a thinner line weight and saved the drawing. However, when I go to print, the line weight defaults back to the “By Layer” line weight.

First question – do I need to be in Layout space to make these changes permanent?

I have then created a new layer (with a new colour) and selected my preferred line weight – and changed the lines that I want to be thicker, to the new layer I created. When I go to print, I went into my printer settings and insured that the new layer I created and colour has the preferred line weight I want. However, when I preview my drawing, it has made all the other layers thicker, and the ones I want thinner.

I am not sure where to go from here. Should I follow the previous forums and threads using the pline and pline edit?

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!!

Does your drawing use a CTB/STB-file? YOu can find it in your plot window, at the top right corner - if you do not see a Plot Style area there, then you need to click the little arrow at the bottom right corner.

A CTB or STB file controls lineweights based on what color it is, that's why I ask.

Hey Tiger!

It does use the CTB/STB-file. That's where I went in when I said my "printer settings" ... I should of clarified that it was the Plot Style table and settings.

Don't know if this helps or makes it more confusing!

When you plotted, did you make sure to tell it to plot the lineweights? Or do you mean the lines in the drawing are changing whenever you attempt to plot?

I made sure the plot line weights was on... and changed the colour that I wanted of the new layer I created to the line weight I wanted.

For some reason when I preview this after I have changed my settings, it defaults back to original line weight.

Confusing! :(

When you go to plot, click the button under plot style table on the right side of the window. It will bring up a list of colors and it will display all of their details. Change the color's lineweights to whatever lineweight you need them to be. Be careful though, because if you change for example color 1, all of the layers that are color 1 will plot with that lineweight.

Hm... that is what I have been doing. that's why I created a new layer (with a new colour) and then went into the plot table settings, selected the colour of my new layer and changed the line weight. maybe I am doing something wrong still?

Do I need the plot lineweight button clicked still?

Many thanks in advance!!

On the plot manager page, is Plot with Plot styles checked?

Also, are you plotting/printing from Modelspace or Paperspace?

Is there a plotstyle override in the Layer Manager?

If possible, use Etransmit to zip the drawing and support files and post it here so we can have a look.

Hey everyone....

I just ended up going back and selecting each line to change the line weight..... rather than changing the complete layer line weight... took some time but it at least printed the way I wanted it to look. For some reason when I changed the layer line weight... it still wouldn't print with it. I just changed each line drop the line weight drop down.... might sound confusing. Sorry for the poor explanation!!

Probably not the fastest solution but seemed to help.

THX for ALL your help - much appreciated!!! :D :D

Now I'm pretty certain it's a plotstyle setting because plotstyles have precedence over layer settings, but object overrides have precedence over the plotstyle settings. If you want to upload the file (and CTB/STB) I'm sure we can help you understand what's going on.

Yes, if you are using lineweights it should be selected.
Is that correct? Plot Object Lineweights? I would think that should be off so the ctb lineweights will plot.

Is that correct? Plot Object Lineweights? I would think that should be off so the ctb lineweights will plot.

That is what we use here where I work and it seems to work fine.

A quick test seems to indicate that if Plot Object Lineweight is unchecked, lineweight is not plotted, regardless of ctb, layer or object over-ride settings

A quick test seems to indicate that if Plot Object Lineweight is unchecked, lineweight is not plotted, regardless of ctb, layer or object over-ride settings
Then I don't get it at all. I must go test the way I have been doing it right now.

I know why I am confused now. When one checks Plot With Plotstyles, the Plot Object Lineweights automagically checks and grays out, so It basically deals with what it finds, I guess. Either it plots the modelspace lineweights when something like monochrome.ctb is used or it plots the plotstyle lineweights if there are any(I guess. >>shrug

I wonder if this is a LT behavior?

All I know is, all my modelspace lines are the same weight, default (0.020), and they are a bunch of different colors. I always use a custom color dependent plot style, and I get line weight differential. When I want the line weights changed, I modify the line weight property for the corresponding color in the plot style table.