Hatch pattern (do not select)

CivilPrice

does anyone know if there is a way to keep from selecting a hatch pattern every time...

So like we have all these solid hatches that they need to see for these park maps and stuff, but I can never use the cursor to select the text or objects on top of the hatch. it is on a locked layer so that it does no move, but it still will only select the hatch when i try to click and drag a box over items in order to pick multiple items to move them all at once.

thanks for any ideas... I know there are pick styles and pick first options but I like the way I have everything set up I just want my cursor to ignore the hatch patterns.

Select everything then hold shift and select the hatch again. It will remove the hatch from the objects you have selected. I'll keep looking to see if there is a way to ignore it though.

yeah... I know the deselect, but a lot of the times I am working through a viewport and it will not select the hatch again when trying to deselect... grrrr... It is just such a pain in the... I figured there had to be a way just ignore solid hatch.

I don't believe that there is unless someone else here can prove me wrong. I can't seem to find any way to completely ignore solid hatch.

Plus 1 on SLW's suggestion.

Otherwise, on the options >> Selection Tab>> Visual Effects settings >> Advanced options, you can exclude hatches, among other things, from lighting up in "selection Preview" when simply rolled over. I keep this turned off because it makes it too easy to accidentally select hatches, and it even hangs the cursor up when just rolling over a hatch. It makes it more difficult to select a hatch, even though it may not solve your entire issue. I think only zooming in further will do that.

Make sure the system variable Pickfirst is set to 1, so you can do multi-item selecting prior to running a command. I have found that running a command before multiple selecting will cause items that get panned or zoomed off screen to fall off the selection list (become deselected). If you do your selecting prior to the command, everything you have selected will stay that way.

In addition to the other suggestions, perhaps try HATCHTOBACK command, add Transparency to the Hatch layer, and SelectionCycling may decrease or eliminate accidentally selecting hatches.

In addition to the other suggestions, perhaps try HATCHTOBACK command, add Transparency to the Hatch layer, and SelectionCycling may decrease or eliminate accidentally selecting hatches.

But, beware, HATCHTOBACK causes a draw on system resources. I have a bunch of hatches in the drawing I am currently working on and it continually gave me the low system resources, cancel command yes or no after I tried using that.

And this is also controlled by System Variable HPDRAWORDER

Stores the Draw Order setting from the Hatch and Fill Dialog Box.

0 None. The hatch or fill is not assigned a draw order.

1 Send to back. The hatch or fill is sent to the back of all other objects.

2 Bring to front. The hatch or fill is brought to the front of all other objects.

3 Send behind boundary. The hatch or fill is sent behind the hatch boundary.

4 Bring in front of boundary. The hatch or fill is brought in front of the hatch boundary.

holy smokes noob!!! great work!! that definitely seems to be the easiest solution to the oddball problem!! I really appreciate that.

Dana: the selection thing still does not work... I did what you said and it still immediately picks the hatch that is on a locked layer??? the really weird thing is that when I try to group select even after I pick the hatch it will not select the objects in the hatched area??? just strange??

Fillmode seems to be the most simple option less painful but I could have swore there was a checkbox somewhere in the options to ignore hatch patterns... or at least I remember it working better on earlier 2005 versions, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Again EVERYBODY!!! I really appreciate all of the feedback!

Much Respect,

Eric

holy smokes noob!!! great work!! that definitely seems to be the easiest solution to the oddball problem!! I really appreciate that.

Dana: the selection thing still does not work... I did what you said and it still immediately picks the hatch that is on a locked layer??? the really weird thing is that when I try to group select even after I pick the hatch it will not select the objects in the hatched area??? just strange??

Fillmode seems to be the most simple option less painful but I could have swore there was a checkbox somewhere in the options to ignore hatch patterns... or at least I remember it working better on earlier 2005 versions, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Again EVERYBODY!!! I really appreciate all of the feedback!

Much Respect,

Eric

Yup, the only ignore checkboxes I know of are the ones we mentioned, and they only help to avoid snaps and selection preview. They do nothing to help while using a selection window. Only fillmode or hatch layer OFF, or FROZEN will do that.