Polyline Direct Input Explanation - In 3D Mode

BoroCAD

Hi,

I'm just starting to learn how to use the 3D environment in AutoCAD (2014 version). I'm following some tutorials but I'm a bit confused regarding direct input values when using the polyline command. Could someone please explain what each step means?

I've drawn a 50mm square, starting at coordinate 130,130,0 (lower left corner) using the polyline command (NOT using the Close command to complete the square). The next step then states draw a second polyline using the following input @7

Thanks,

BoroCAD

@7

The "@" symbol specifies the coordinate entry will be relative to the last selected point

Conversely, the "#" symbol specifies the coordinate entry will be the absolute location relative to 0,0 (in the current coordinate system)

The "

130,130,0 (or #130,130) means the point will be 130 units right of 0,0 and 130 units above 0,0

@130,130 means the point will be 130 units to the right of the previously point, and 130 units above the previous point

@7

Also keep in mind that polylines can only be drawn (created) on the XY plane, so while they can be useful in a 3D environment, you can't directly draw them into the 3rd dimension.

As soon as I clicked send I figured out that the

----------------------------------------------------

ReMark - Thanks for the reply though, it helps with my understanding. What does the

I assumed you were working in metric units and therefore a decimal angle, that was not a whole number, would be expressed as 45,55 instead of 45.55 as one would type if they were working in imperial units. My mistake. I should have asked first.

Nestly - Thanks, I was typing my response above while you were posting. You've given a great explanation, that's brilliant. As stated above I believe it was a typo in the tutorial. I'm going to let the tutor know.

Your last line is very interesting and a great piece of knowledge. FYI - I was drawing a simple wire framed shape.

Also keep in mind that polylines can only be drawn (created) on the XY plane, so while they can be useful in a 3D environment, you can't directly draw them into the 3rd dimension.

Just a small addendum, a polyline can be started anywhere in 3d space but any subsequent points have to be at the same Z level (or parallel to the UCS)