How do I create hills from on OS map?

br0604bom

I has tried this with no success and I would be very grateful for some advice.

I have looked at the sandbox tools and also tutorials but cannot find a good one.

Do I need to raise all the lines to their heights and then look to generate the surface or can it be done straight from the 2d OS map?

Thanks you to anyone with the answer

If you want to create hills, your contour lines need to be at their correct elevations. If they are all at the same level, the program will not know how to create the terrain and will just generate a flat plane. You may want to take a look at this tutorial: http://www.sketchup-ur-space.com/2012/sept/learning-to-model-terrain-in-SketchUp.html

Here's another good tutorial, but I'm sure you've probably already seen it: http://www.arch.virginia.edu/computing/training/online/faculty/stiles/pages/sketchup%20new/sketchup%207_sandbox%20tools.html

If you want to create hills, your contour lines need to be at their correct elevations. If they are all at the same level, the program will not know how to create the terrain and will just generate a flat plane. You may want to take a look at this tutorial: http://www.sketchup-ur-space.com/2012/sept/learning-to-model-terrain-in-SketchUp.html

Here's another good tutorial, but I'm sure you've probably already seen it: http://www.arch.virginia.edu/computing/training/online/faculty/stiles/pages/sketchup%20new/sketchup%207_sandbox%20tools.html

Thanks very much Cad64, I had a feeling this may be the way it had to be done but was not sure as I have not really used it that much before, thanks for the links too.

And thanks BIGAL, though I do not really understand what you mean

To clarify the plans turns up with all the levels/elevations written on it as text Yeah its 3d says the guy who sent it. You take the text value make it Z use the insertion point for X & Y create Autocad POINT with X,Y,Z. These points can then be read directly to make a surface

To clarify the plans turns up with all the levels/elevations written on it as text Yeah its 3d says the guy who sent it.

I think that the OP was confused, because his stated source (2d Ordnance Survey maps) are not digital plans, but the equivalent of paper plans. With these, all digital data has to be created, unless you can afford the digital plans.

OS2d.JPG

To clarify the plans turns up with all the levels/elevations written on it as text Yeah its 3d says the guy who sent it. You take the text value make it Z use the insertion point for X & Y create Autocad POINT with X,Y,Z. These points can then be read directly to make a surface

thanks very much BIGAL,

not confused eldon but thanks for your input, initially I meant the 2d maps as you mentioned but have since got the digital plans, still need the work done on them, thanks again

Have you approached the local county they may if you ask nicely be able to supply a 3d model of the area.

I got a 2d map from them, the point is me to model it in 3d, though in saying that I never thought of asking for a 3d file!!