Client construction drawing full of un-needed layers

RichardLloyd

Hi All.

Is there a way of simplifying a drawing when it is sent over to me?

The company I work for are doing a lot of projects currently for a construction company. When they send their drawings over, there is typically between 50-100 layers on them, from beds to bedpans, windows to window furniture, etc. we literally only need the building itself and room references to do our sprinkler layouts. Therefore I was wondering if there is a way to merge the layers onto a 'master' layer, i.e. client information.

The reason for me doing this is that I already go through and clean it up to remove all unwanted items so that it is not over loaded with information, then I would like to select all and change it to a single layer that I know is their layer. I can then change this to a light grey colour to not be too intruding on the important part of the drawing, draw my sprinkler layout and relevant mechanical details, and then hey presto, its complete. By cleaning up all of the unwanted information and deleting the layers, as all will be on the one layer for the client, the file size is smaller and therefore quicker to access also.

Just wondering what the easiest way to do this is. Forgive me as I am self taught on CAD so have only got basic knowledge and not fully understanding of defpoints and Xrefs.:oops:

I know that seems an easy way to go, but I would not put everything onto one layer. If you do that, then you cannot freeze individual layers to see where you are going.

Hi ReMark. I understand this one, but I suppose like Eldon is saying, its probably not best practise as it will all be one layer. Is there such a command where I can put all of their layers into a 'layer folder'? Perhaps where I can override the colour settings of the layers in one, but at least they are not populating the layer drop down menu when I am switching between my layers?

Pefi, you are a genius! That look as though it will do everything that I want. I have got some learning to do to be at Jedi status like some of you guys! :notworthy: