Did a feature change or am I daft (fillet on a hole).

HCb

Hello, all. I'm running Inventor 2012 Pro SP2 and working through the Mastering Inventor 2012 book. One example regarding fillets indicates that a Hole can be selected as a feature and the program will do the Fillet on both the sides of the solid (assuming the Hole is through one solid). I manually created a file and tried this and could not get it to work. I opened the example file from the book files (attached) and got the same thing.

I start the Fillet, choose "Feature" as the Select Mode and then try to click on the hole with no luck (nothing highlights to select), of course Edge and Loop selections work fine (for single-sided Fillet). I try clicking on the Hole feature in the Browser and when I hover the mouse over the Hole it highlights the top and bottom of the solid where the hole begins and ends but clicking on it (Hole in the browser) it doesn't get selected.

Looking at the picture in the book it would appear that selecting the Feature (Hole) should Fillet the top and bottom of the solid but it's not working for me.

a) I'm doing something stupid

or

b) the functionality of the program changed from when the book was written (with presumably a zero service pack/initial release) and now (SP2).

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thank you.

--HC

mi_4a_056.ipt

It appears to work on extrusions but not with hole features. Submit filleting hole features to the Augi wish list, and if implemented you'll be in their Hall of Fame!

Okay, thanks for the replies. Here's the excerpt from the book (in photo form). Please someone tell me if maybe I'm just not reading it correctly. But it appears to show the top and bottom face (opening, really) of the hole getting a preview of the fillet with Feature selected and that's what I'm reading in the text. I'll see if I can find a contact for the author and get in touch with him.

--HC

MI-Pg 177 excerpt.jpg