Paperspace modelling without altering layout

RichardLloyd

Hi All,

After a bit of help which I'm sure is a basic question really.

I have got a drawing that is set up on A0 as per the client requirements. However, for use on site by our engineers, i want to send over an A2 of just the area they are working in to make it clearer for them. On my original drawing, all the information for the installers is dotted around the page to show site requirements. However, what I am planning on doing now is making 2 x A2 drawings showing the areas of work for this phase, and then 1 x A2 showing all installer requirements.

My issue is though that i don't want to alter the positioning on my drawing in the layout tab as it is to how the client needs it to be and sod's law will be that i will need to do an amendment at some point too.

I have seen a drawing with some boundaries drawn on the layout, which the client has put on a 'defpoints' layer, then on the paper space they have been able to show the different defpoints in different areas on the page, even though they are joining on the layout tab.

I may be being a bit vague here but any help would be greatly appreciated.

:lol: You're being a bit vague here, you mention -"page" "area" "drawing" "layout tab" "layout" and "paper space", any chance you could post the dwg to show what you mean or some screen shots, and when you say boundaries do you mean viewports, the defpoint layer is typically used to show items that won't be plotted, like the viewport "boundary" itself.

Howdy

Why not setup some additional paper space tabs of say the A2 portions and another of installation details in multiple individual viewports. That way any changes (made in model space) will reflect on both the master (A0) and the A2s.

I am with Steven-G here, all a bit too vague for me..

I can tell you how I would do it though, based on what I think you are after.

I would have the A1 as the client requests, all dolled up and ready to go.

Then I would have two more Layouts in the same DWG, made as A2s (I would probably go as far down as A3 for on-site-work though, depends on the contracter. I have seen some that have taken my fancy A1s and compressed it to an A4 that they take out with them and try to work from...) with a viewport-scale that shows the details better and with additional text that are specific for the task. I would be very careful to not put a frame on there, I would not put a title block on there, to try and get the point across that this is only a working-document, not the actual drawing.

Steven-g, I have attached a pdf with screenshots to show what the client has done.

I have tried also what the others are saying, very helpful. I might be trying to over complicate things by trying to do it fancy like what the client has done. Obviously they have got a trained draughtsman with Cad qualifications, I am just self taught and utilising others knowledge on here to try and get better.

Screenshot-1.pdf

Yeah, I think you are overcomplicating things. The purple lines are not necessary really, they help in knowing how much of your model will fit on an A1-sheet at a particular scale.

You can draw a square like that yourself, the easiest way (wihtout math) is to go to your A2 sheet, create a viewport of the size that you need, set it to the scale you want, draw a rectangle on top of the viewport, use the command CHSPACE that copies the rectangle from Paper Space to Model Space. GO to MOdel space and you will find your rectangle. Then you can see how much of your drawing will fit on an A2 at the given scale.

ow. Just saw that you use LT - I will not guarantee that CHSPACE works in LT... in that case you need Math to do the calculations instead.

Tiger:

CHSPACE works in LT, thats a trick I sometimes use, but you do need to scale the rectangle up in model space its a paperspace object and is not scaled.

Richard:

The drawing is done like that using paperspace viewports that have been created to show only parts of the building, then these can be moved about and scaled to fit on you layout paper size

Tiger:

CHSPACE works in LT, thats a trick I sometimes use, but you do need to scale the rectangle up in model space its a paperspace object and is not scaled.

good! But isn't that the point of CHSPACE - that it copies and scales an object to maintain the viewport-look?

Edit: just tried it and CHSPACE scales the object.

Command: CHSPACE

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects: Set the TARGET viewport active and press ENTER to continue.:

1 object(s) changed from PAPER space to MODEL space.

Objects were scaled by a factor of 0.2 to maintain visual

appearance.

paperspace viewports? Am i right in saying that this is just a square/rectangular viewing area though? And if so, how did they do it to match the boundaries that they will have put on to the main drawing in the layout? Im such a novice listening to you guys! :notworthy:

Viewports can be basically any shape you want, Mview command will make a viewport from a selected polyline , we have an architect here that makes all his viwports building shape,

Viewports can be any shape you want them to be including circles and polygons.

Go to the Layout tab, Layout Viewports panel and click on the arrow as seen below.

LayoutVP.JPG