Which dims left? 2 Dimensions needed for fully constrainted/Inventor 2010

Sengna

can someone give me sugguestion, I want to extrude this rectangle after my sketch, i applied the dims length and width and i can extruded, but when i look on the bottom right of the screen, it still said 2 dims needed, What is the easiest way for me to figure out which dims left to do? do i need to tell where in the space that this rectagle locate? do i have to make it fully constrainted everytime before i extrude? Thanks

Rectangle dims need.jpg

Sengna,

Yes, two locating dimensions are required to fully define your geometry. Alternatively, you could add a coincident constraint between a relevant part of your geometry and the origin (would need to project it first looks like). Below is pic of application options "sketch" tab showing "Autoproject part origin on sketch create" option checked on. This would automatically give you the origin point to work with.

app op sketch.jpg

I got you! since i can see the solid dot at the origin, i was able to do coincident the regtangle with the origin, now it's fully constraint. why is it imporatant to have the geometry center with the origin point?

thanks ConMan

rectagle fully.jpg

Here's the link to JD Mather's tutorials, definitely a must for starting out:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD_2007_Tutorials.htm

To answer your question, I will just link to Inventor Trenches (http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html). In a nutshell, whenever your drawing is not fully constrained, weird (and bad) things can and do usually occur when you try to adjust a parameter. Depending on the complexity of your part or assembly this can cause mass chaos. My goal is to always seek to limit mass chaos.

I got you! since i can see the solid dot at the origin, i was able to do coincident the regtangle with the origin, now it's fully constraint. why is it imporatant to have the geometry center with the origin point?

thanks ConMan

Having your part based on some sort of symmetry around the origina point / planes will make planning easier, and it'll also likely make your assembly work easier as well.

Where the origin of the part should be depends the design intent, function, mating parts etc... But most parts are symetrical in one or more direction. I find centering & constraining about the origin is usually the best practice. It allows use of the origin planes, axis, & center point when revolving, extruding, mirroring, patterning, etc.... It also allows more options when building the model. This is the B.O.R.N. technique (Base Origin Reference Node). You should reference Base Origins as much as possible, as they do not change. But edges, surfaces, or a planes you created could possibly be deleted or moved as the design changes. It seems most problems I have revising or working with existing models all seem to stem from someone starting their model geometry off in outer space somewhere, instead of "on" or "about" the origin.

Very good info, Thank you everyone for your suggestion

By the way how can i increase the size of the origin center point to make it little bigger so i can see it better? i went to the APPLICATION OPTIONS but i can't find where to change. Also how can i turn on the precise input feature while i am in the sketch world.

Edited by Sengna

To be perfectly honest, in 5 years and 8000+ hours of using Inventor, I have never once used "precise input." I've never found a need.
Really! i found it is handy when i was watching the online tutorial when he drew the part on the sketch and the precise input pop up then enter the number and tab for the next one but i am not sure if he still have to do dims afterward. i know where to find the tool but i don't know how to make it automatically pop up

Very good info, Thank you everyone for your suggestion

By the way how can i increase the size of the origin center point to make it little bigger so i can see it better? i went to the APPLICATION OPTIONS but i can't find where to change. Also how can i turn on the precise input feature while i am in the sketch world.

You can increase the size of the Origin Center Point by going to Tools>Application Options>General tab and increase Annotation Scale value.

Forget you ever saw the Precise Input toolbar. Using it will only slow you down. There is a better way.